Audio By Carbonatix
Former Western North Regional Minister and Director of Elections for Kennedy Agyapong’s campaign team, Joojo Rocky Obeng, has stated that neither he nor his colleagues received the New Patriotic Party (NPP) peace pact before the signing ceremony on January 22.
The NPP on Thursday had all its presidential aspirants sign a peace pact in a move aimed at preventing internal divisions and ensuring a peaceful flagbearer election.
However, claims that all contestants had received the document days before the event, Mr. Obeng says, are inaccurate.
“There have been claims that I was given two peace pact forms before we met at the Alisa Hotel for the meeting,” Mr Obeng said during an interview on Asempa FM’s Ekosiisen show.
“I can say with authority that we had not received or been served any copy of the peace pact before the event.”
Mr Obeng explained that during the programme, he was seated beside Nana Boakye, the Tema West parliamentary candidate and former constituency chairman representing Bryan Acheampong.
"Honourable Kyei Mensah-Bonsu, seated behind Dr Mahamudu Bawumia, Mr Gyamfi, representing Honourable Adutwum, and Honourable Ransford, seated behind Kwabena Agyei Agyapong, were also present."
He further explained that only the former Majority Leader and former Suame MP, Osei Kyei-Mensah-Bonsu, had a copy of the document.
He said that discussions among the representatives revealed that, aside from one instance, no copies of the peace pact had been received before the event.
“What we were all saying was that, if we had received the forms earlier, we could have gone through them, corrected any mistakes, and worked on them as a group,” Mr. Obeng said. “When I asked the others if they had received a copy, they all said no.”
Mr. Obeng stressed that each aspirant was represented by two officials at the signing and suggested that the oversight was not deliberate.
“I suspect that arrangements were made for all of us to receive a copy, and I do not believe there was any ill intent involved,” he said. “From what I learned from the other representatives, I had thought I was the only one who had not received a copy.”
Latest Stories
-
Swimming stakeholders call for legitimate governance and constitutional elections in Ghana Swimming
9 minutes -
Akatsi Police seize suspected cannabis consignment, driver escapes
10 minutes -
EU investment in Ghana reaches $16bn – GIPC’s Boss
43 minutes -
GPSCP II and TCDA partner to boost regulation and investment in tree crops sector
52 minutes -
Ghana, Ethiopia business ties ripe for expansion – GIPC
1 hour -
Ghana-Russia Center signs landmark cooperation agreements at KazanForum 2026
1 hour -
Sankofa Gold Mine, Guangzhou Hozdo partnership signals revival push as Ghana’s Western mining sector heats up
1 hour -
From Snapchat Stories to Snapchat Headquarters: Chef Abbys is taking Ghana to the world one plate at a time
2 hours -
Photos: Vice President commissions 100 new Metro Mass Transit buses
2 hours -
GNFS rescues seven trapped in crash at Peki-Tsiame
2 hours -
GNFS rescues trapped driver after cargo truck overturns at Fante New Town
2 hours -
Photos from JoyNews National Dialogue on youth and climate change
2 hours -
Woman accused of threatening President Mahama granted GH¢1 million bail
2 hours -
One dead, 4 injured in articulated truck collision at Assin Nsuta
2 hours -
To Nationalise or Transform? Joy Business Hosts Roundtable on Ghana’s Extractive Future
2 hours