Audio By Carbonatix
The Akrofuom District Security Council in the Ashanti Region is adopting stringent measures to clamp down on the use of tricycles and motorbikes for robberies.
This follows a surge in the use of these machines in robbery activities in the district.
In his sessional address to the general assembly, the District Chief Executive, Maurice Jonas Woode, said the security council has teamed up with the police to halt the use of these machines in committing crime.
"The District Security Council (DISEC) has tasked the Motor Transport and Traffic Directorate (MTTD) to conduct regular swoops on the riders, confiscate the motorbikes of suspects and release them after thorough investigations," he said.

Mr. Woode further emphasised that unregistered bikes will be on their radar.
The use of tricycles and motorbikes for commercial purposes has become common in both urban and rural areas of the country.
It is viewed as a convenient mode of transport in traffic-prone areas as well as areas with poor roads.
The Assembly is however worried about the safety and security threats.
Revenue Mobilisation
The District Chief Executive revealed that the Assembly was able to raise GH₵769,000 as of May 2023 in revenue.
This is against an annual budgeted figure of GH₵880,000, representing 87.45% of the target.
He, however, mentioned a proposal for an upward review of their revised target.
The Assembly has resolved to construct a Kindergarten block using its Internally Generated Funds.
Education
The Akrofuom District Directorate has taken measures to improve the student to teacher ratio.
This, according to the DCE, is evidenced in the posting of 68 teachers to the district, with 48% of them currently at post.
Mr. Woode expressed the Assembly's commitment to creating a congenial atmosphere for the teachers to work in the district.
He also called on the people in the district to be more hospitable to teachers.
Health
Giving accounts on the Agenda 111 hospital project initiated by the government, the Akrofuom DCE said so far the project in the district has been temporarily halted due to technical challenges with the main hospital block.
"Work is ongoing on the accompanied residential accommodation. I am hopeful of resumption of work very soon," he said.
Latest Stories
-
Africa urged to overhaul climate finance rules and regulations to unlock investment
13 minutes -
Joy Prime to broadcast Mexico vs Ghana friendly match on Saturday, 23rd May at 2am
55 minutes -
PNC National Chairman calls for arrest of NPP Youth Organiser
1 hour -
Joana Gyan Foundation partners KN Foundation, GFA & PFAG for historic Nsawam Prison outreach
1 hour -
Chief urges youth to see farming as dignified business, not punishment
1 hour -
Majority Leader says Ghana is experiencing ‘fastest economic recovery’
2 hours -
Anlo-Afiadenyigba SHS appeals for constant water supply, security
2 hours -
‘Stability, credibility and predictability are Ghana’s competitive advantage’ – Ambassador Victor Smith
2 hours -
NAIMOS arrests Chinese national, 7 Ghanaians in Ashanti Illegal Mining crackdown
2 hours -
Three including a baby killed in multi-vehicle crash on Kasoa-Winneba Highway
2 hours -
Wontumi denies authorising illegal mining on Akonta concession
2 hours -
Agbodza visits Adaklu-Helekpe mudslide victims, calls for urgent environmental action
2 hours -
TMA holds first ordinary meeting, discusses development, challenges, progress
2 hours -
PAC calls for closure of livestock market near the national mosque
2 hours -
Security agencies don’t need my permission to arrest you – Speaker Bagbin to MPs
2 hours