Audio By Carbonatix
Ghana's President Akufo-Addo has rendered an apology to President of Nigeria Muhammadu Buhari over the demolition of a building at the residence of the Nigerian High Commissioner in Accra.
This follows increasing tensions as the Nigerian community has heavily criticised Ghana for the act which some say has the tendency of sparking a bitter diplomatic row.
A building nearing completion on the premises of the High Commissioner was razed down with a bulldozer by armed men on June 19.
After the incident, a cross-section of Nigerians including the House of Representatives Committee on Foreign Affairs, National Association of Nigerian Traders has demanded immediate action amid pockets of protests around the said facility.
Ghana's Foreign Affairs Ministry has also expressed disgust at the development.
In a latest twist, a statement released by the Nigerian Presidency revealed that President Akufo-Addo, over a telephone conversation, apologised for the incident.
"Pres Nana Akufo-Addo of Ghana today spoke with Pres Buhari, expressing his sincere apology for demolition of a building on the premises of Nigerian High Commission in Accra, Ghana," the Nigerian Presidency said in a tweet on June 23, 2020.
President Akufo-Addo further revealed that some suspects have been arrested in connection with the act and assured of thorough investigations to ensure that the perpetrators are brought to book, the release signed by
Senior Special Assistant to the President, Garba Shehu further added.
"Earlier in the day, it further emerged that some suspects had been arrested, and will be arraigned in court."
In a telephone call, the Ghanaian leader told President Buhari that he has directed full investigation into the incident.
— Presidency Nigeria (@NGRPresident) June 23, 2020
Earlier in the day, it further emerged that some suspects had been arrested, and will be arraigned in court.
//
Meanwhile, Paramount Chief of the Osu Traditional Area Nii Okwei Kinka Dowuona VI says the Nigerian High Commission has trespassed on a plot of land belonging to the Osu Stool.
He stressed in a press release issued June 21 that the said parcel of land and the entire Osu Mantse layout is not state land but is a part of its land.
Nii Kinka Dowuona VI stated that “it is only the Stool that has the mandate to grant lease be it expired or otherwise.”
Latest Stories
-
AyaSol initiative launched to support youth-led solar businesses in Ghana
31 minutes -
Photos: e-Crime Bureau hosts inaugural Founder’s Opera Soirée on AI-driven cyber threats
45 minutes -
World Corporate Golf Challenge Ghana officially launches 2026 season
46 minutes -
Prof Gyampo Writes: Democracy, free speech and the survival of the Ghanaian polity
1 hour -
e-Crime Bureau hosts inaugural Founder’s Opera Soiree on AI-era leadership and cyber threats
1 hour -
Mahama rejects ‘kenkey and waakye party’ celebration after IMF exit, says economy still work in progress
1 hour -
David Hundeyin to release documentary on Tanzania election violence coverage
2 hours -
Photos: President Mahama cuts sod for 24-hour economy market in Bole
3 hours -
Ghana-eligible midfielder Kofi Amoako joins Hamburg from Dynamo Dresden
3 hours -
Mahama commissions Yamoransa Model Lab 13 to advance STEM and digital skills training
3 hours -
Youth Ministry says nearly 90,000 young people are employed under government programmes
4 hours -
Adaklu Mountain now a security zone – Volta Regional Minister
4 hours -
Volta Regional Minister assures PAC of stricter supervision of government projects
5 hours -
Can Parliament enforce its own laws?
5 hours -
ECG announces major transformer upgrade at Batsonaa – see the affected areas
5 hours