One of the 14 land guards picked up by the Police for allegedly terrorising residents of Pantang collapsed when an Accra Circuit Court remanded him into lawful custody.
Illa Ismael was, however, resuscitated and provided water to drink. Ismael was, thereafter, handcuffed and escorted by armed Police men into a waiting Police van.
Ishmael and the 13 others are being held on the charges of conspiracy to commit crime, prohibition of activities of Lands guards and two counts of assault.
Ishmael has additionally been charged with possession of arms and ammunitions and use of narcotic drugs.
The 13 include: Bashiru Abdul Latif, Christian Atsu, Ali Sulemana, Augustine Agornyo, Samuel Baah and James Okyere.
The rest are Foster Nii Odoi, Mohammed Abubakari, Masawudu Sowala, Gafari Gyima, Yusif Assilfi Aminu Musa and Emmanuel Yarbi.
All the accused persons have pleaded not guilty to the charges.
After a team of seven lawyers had argued for bail, 13 of them were granted bail in the sum of GHC100, 000 with four sureties each.
One of the sureties is to be justified.
The Court, presided over by Mrs. Ellen Ofei Ayeh, accepted the defence counsel’s suggestion that if they were unable to secure their justifications, the accused persons would post GHC100, 000 as security deposit.
The matter has been adjourned to June 17.
Prosecuting Chief Superintendent of Police, Mr. Alex Odonkor, narrated that the complainant Jonas Adu, was an employee of Jeleel Estate Developing Company, Accra.
The Prosecution said all the accused persons were land guards terrorising people on their land sites.
Chief Superintendent Odonkor said on May 30, this year, the complainant and his colleagues were working on their legally acquired company’s land at Pantang when Ishmael on board an unregistered Toyota vehicle, led the other accused persons also on board another Toyota Hilux with registration number WR 1642-15, and an unregistered Toyota Sienna to the site.
The Prosecution said the accused person attacked and assaulted Kwaku Prah, Laryea Issaka, Jelilu Spam, Fosu Emmanuel, Bright Frimpong, Yaw Boakye, Eric Asante, Samuel Kuma, Enoch Obeng and Joseph Okyere on the land without any cause.
Chief Supt. Odonkor said in the process the Police received a distress call and proceeded to the scene.
The Prosecution said the attackers on seeing the Police rushed into the cars and escaped but they were apprehended by the youth who blocked the road.
He said a search in Ishmael’s vehicle revealed 12 ammunitions of AK47 rifle, two pistols ammunitions, a knife and dried leaves suspected to be cannabis.
Additionally, two knives and three wraps of dried leaves suspected to be cannabis were found in the Toyota Hilux, while in the Toyota Sienna vehicle, a knife and a wrap of cannabis were retrieved.
Prosecution said the accused persons claimed they were contracted by GN Bank and Sarah Ama Forkuo Samampa Company to guard the land for them.
- Russia ‘will bomb any country that arrests Putin’ – Former Russian president
- Beige Bank case: Nyinaku accused of issuing misleading investment certificates to unsuspecting customers
- Ghana v Angola: Jordan Ayew, Kudus start as Chris Hughton era begins
- Social media reacts to Afena-Gyan’s rejection of Black Meteors call-up
- I was praised for singing Teni’s song in church – New EC member
- Volta ECG reconnects Ho Airport, GRA, others after payments
- Afena-Gyan turns down Black Meteors invitation for AFCON qualifier against Algeria
- Proposed tax measures not new; will boost fiscal economy – Finance Ministry
- NDC flagbearership race: Kwabena Duffour submits nomination forms
- Dr. Appiahene has never been a TESCON patron – Henry Boakye debunks claims
- GSE signs MoU with MIIF to increase listing of mineral companies
- Ghanaians in diaspora urged to showcase identity and culture
- We have been commended for Ashaiman invasion – DG of Armed Forces Public Affairs
- AFCON 2023Q: Antoine Semenyo nets last-ditch winner as Black Stars beat Angola
- Afenyo-Markin pleads for confirmation of ministerial nominees
- Academic City’s Tech Expo showcases innovative technologies to drive Ghana’s agricultural industry
- Women, youth in Keta to be economically empowered – Dr Jones-Mensah
- Claim that G4O fuel sells at higher prices than other sources inaccurate- NPA
- I like performing at award events than receiving awards – Kelvynboy
- 5 ways to keep your friendships strong even when life is hectic
- Mahama wasn’t hooted at enskinment of new Yagbonwura; ignore Koku Anyidoho’s fake video – NDC
- Omotola Jalade-Ekeinde and husband celebrate 27 years of marriage
- Organ-trafficking Nigerian politician, wife found guilty
- Afcon 2023: We will ‘play to win’ against Hughton’s Ghana – Angola coach
- Livestream: TikTok CEO testifying before US Congress