US rapper ASAP Rocky, real name Rakim Mayers, has been found guilty of assault during a Stockholm fight and given a two-year suspended sentence.
The 30-year-old has also been ordered to pay damages to the victim.
ASAP Rocky spent nearly a month in custody after the assault, which happened at the end of June, before being released ahead of the verdict.
Two members of ASAP Rocky’s entourage, Bladimir Corniel and David Rispers, were found guilty of the same charge.
“The assault has not been of such a serious nature that a prison sentence must be chosen,” the court said in a statement.
“The defendants are therefore sentenced to conditional sentences.”
A suspended sentence means that as long as ASAP Rocky and the two other men found guilty commit no further crimes during a two-year probation period, they will avoid prison.
ASAP Rocky thanked the court after being released from prison earlier this month
ASAP Rocky and his co-defendants claimed they had been acting in self-defence against two men who had been following their group.
But the court said the three were “not in a situation where they were entitled to self-defence” and wrote in its verdict that they “assaulted the victim by hitting and kicking him as he lay on the ground.
“The artist has also thrown the victim to the ground and stepped on his arm.”The court said the victim of the assault, a 19-year-old refugee, was awarded damages for what the court described as the violation of his integrity and for pain and suffering.
The judgement ruled that there was not enough evidence to say that bottles had been used during the assault – a key part of the evidence presented during the three-day trial which took place at the beginning of August.
ASAP Rocky performed at a festival in California after being released from prison in Sweden
ASAP Rocky’s case attracted international attention when US President Donald Trump intervened, claiming ASAP Rocky was being treated unfairly.
US gossip website TMZ had previously claimed that walking into Kronoberg prison – where ASAP Rocky was being held – was like “walking into a toilet”. The prison’s governor rejected those claims when speaking to Radio 1 Newsbeat.
Mr Trump said he’d spoken to Sweden’s Prime Minister after having a conversation with Kanye West.
But the president later reacted angrily when he was unable to secure ASAP Rocky’s release.
Give A$AP Rocky his FREEDOM. We do so much for Sweden but it doesn”™t seem to work the other way around. Sweden should focus on its real crime problem! #FreeRocky
— Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump) 25 July 2019
‘Relief for ASAP Rocky’
Maddy Savage, reporting from Stockholm
Unlike during the trial there were no queues to get into the court ahead of the verdict, with fewer international media reporting on the case and only a handful of fans turning up to hear the decision.
Even ASAP Rocky’s lawyer wasn’t present – he’s working on another case in Uppsala, a Swedish city about an hour’s drive from here. But this is a case that’s still grabbing headlines in Sweden, where ASAP Rocky’s dominated the news in recent weeks and has become a household name after one of the most high-profile Swedish trials in years.
While the rapper’s team didn’t get the not guilty verdict they were hoping for, they will be relieved the star doesn’t have to return to Sweden to spend any more time behind bars. That sentiment was echoed by just a handful of fans who gathered outside the court.
ASAP Rocky was forced to cancel numerous festival appearances while in custody in Sweden in July.
J Hus filled in for his headline slot at Wireless in London, while Ski Mask The Slump God filled in at Longitude in Dublin.
After being released earlier this month he performed at the 92.3 Real Street Festival in California, calling his time in Swedish prison “scary” and “humbling” before telling the crowd: “I need y’all to keep praying for me.”
He’s scheduled to headline Blockfest in Finland on Friday.
- I feared for my life so I lied about being an Ewe – Caleb Kudah
- Affail Monney apologises for alleging Caleb Kudah breached Code of Ethics
- Information Minister visits Citi FM over alleged assault on 2 of its journalists
- Ordering loophole allows students to eat for free at KFC for six months
- Assin North MP’s case: Cape Coast High Court dismisses allegation of bias against presiding judge
- Zoe Abu-Baidoo declined our invitation – National Security defends ‘Rambo-style’ invasion of Citi FM premises
- Remittances to Ghana shoots up to $3.6bn in 2020
- Full text: Affail Monney’s apology statement over attack on Citi FM journalists
- Israel intensifies attacks in Gaza as conflict enters fifth day
- Ernest Ako (Former IGP)
2021 Budget pivotal towards fiscal consolidation – IMF commends government
National Security Ministry’s investigation into alleged assault of Caleb Kudah should be aborted – OneGhana Movement
Ghana Gas management pays courtesy call on Asantehene to update him on Nyinahin-Kumasi pipeline
Livestream: Newsfile discusses alleged assault on Citi FM journalists, Otumfuo joins ‘galamsey’ fight
German priests defy Vatican ban and bless same-sex unions
Peter Lanchene Toobu: The tomorrow I saw
Sam George: Lack of bed and ambulance led to death of a 12-year-old
Sunyani Central Rotary Club commissions 4-unit classroom block, office at Yawhima School
WISE Network donates to Beulah CHPS Zone
Tafohene furious over MP’s failure to attend commissioning of astroturf
Ghana – IMF staff mission concludes 2021 Article IV discussions
Parliament will carry out its own investigation on Citi FM journalists’ alleged assault – James Agalga
Education Ministry to distribute licenses to qualified teachers May 17
I’m surprised DSP Azugu is still at post after Ayawaso West Wuogon violence – James Agalga
Akufo-Addo opens talks with transport operators over plans to increase fares