Audio By Carbonatix
The National Disaster Management Organisation (NADMO) has intensified preventive interventions to curb the rising incidence of road accidents in the Ashanti Region, with a focused operation on accident-prone sections of the Kumasi–Accra Highway.
As part of the exercise, NADMO officials from the Ashanti Regional Secretariat, in collaboration with the Asante-Akim Central Municipal NADMO office, erected road safety signposts along the Asante-Akim stretch of the highway.
The warning signs, bearing inscriptions such as “Slow Down, Accident Prone Area,” are intended to alert motorists and reduce excessive speeding, particularly during the festive season when traffic volumes increase.
The Ashanti Regional Public Relations Officer of NADMO, Prince Ahmed, speaking during the exercise, said the intervention was informed by disturbing accident data inherited by the current administration.
According to him, the data revealed that the stretch is highly accident-prone, making preventive action imperative.
“We realised from the data that this area records frequent accidents. While it may be impossible to eliminate accidents, we are determined to significantly reduce their occurrence through preventive measures,” Mr Ahmed stated.
He explained that the initiative was not limited to the Asante-Akim area but formed part of a region-wide strategy.
NADMO, he said, was working closely with key stakeholders, including the Motor Traffic and Transport Department (MTTD) of the Ghana Police Service, the National Road Safety Authority (NRSA), the Driver and Vehicle Licensing Authority (DVLA), and Metropolitan, Municipal, and District Assemblies (MMDAs) to promote safer road use.
Mr Ahmed stressed that disaster prevention was a shared responsibility and underscored the importance of stakeholder engagement and community acceptance.
“Our role is to anticipate risks and mitigate them to an acceptable level for communities. That is why we involve all relevant institutions and road users so that, together, we can achieve lasting results,” he said.
The Asante-Akim Central Municipal Director of NADMO, Lanbon Joseph, disclosed that between September 1 and December 2 this year, 13 accidents were recorded on the stretch, involving about 100 passengers, and that six people lost their lives.
He noted that the figures did not include accidents involving heavy-duty trucks, suggesting that the actual situation might be more severe.
According to him, the ongoing interventions were preventive and aimed at reducing fatalities and injuries on major highways across the Ashanti Region.
He appealed to motorists to heed road safety signs, obey traffic regulations, and cooperate with enforcement agencies to help save lives on Ghana’s roads.
Latest Stories
-
Dr Abena Nyarkoa to join panel discussion at Africa Together Conference in Cambridge
3 hours -
Walmart warns US shoppers are cutting spending as higher petrol prices bite
3 hours -
Flexible exchange rate regime critical in absorbing external shocks – First Deputy Governor
3 hours -
Toilets and changing rooms must be used on basis of biological sex, guidance confirms
3 hours -
Emily in Paris to end after sixth season, says Netflix
4 hours -
Angry crowd sets Ebola hospital tents on fire in DR Congo
4 hours -
Russia and China condemn US over indictment of former Cuban leader
4 hours -
Bank of Ghana reverts to previous Cash Reserve Ratio policy after scrapping it last year
4 hours -
Ghana-eligible defender Beres Owusu signs permanent deal with Grazer AK
4 hours -
A Super El Niño is coming: What does it mean for Ghana?
5 hours -
Driving Schools Association pushes for mandatory driver training to reduce road crashes
5 hours -
Climate change exists with or without humans — Youth advocate
5 hours -
Plastic waste driving flooding and climate concerns in Bamaahu — Youth Climate Reporter
5 hours -
This week on The Career Trail
5 hours -
My book was born out of university research – Mary Anane Awuku
5 hours