Audio By Carbonatix
A prominent Australian journalist has been detained in China as tensions between the two countries rise.
The Australian government received a "formal notification" of Cheng Lei's detention on August 14, according to a statement released by Marise Payne, Australia's minister for foreign affairs.
Consular officials spoke with her by video chat on August 27.
The journalist is a business anchor on CGTN, the international arm of China's state-owned broadcaster, according to Australia's Department for Foreign Affairs and Trade.
In a statement, the family of the detained journalist said they are in "close consultation" with the Australian government."[We are] doing everything we can as a family to support Cheng Lei," the statement said.
"In China, due process will be observed and we look forward to a satisfactory and timely conclusion to the matter."
CGTN and China's Ministry of Foreign Affairs did not immediately respond to requests for comment.The relationship between Australia and China has frayed in recent months.
After Australia called for a investigation into the origins of the coronavirus pandemic, Beijing targeted it over trade, suspending some imports of beef and slapping heavy tariffs on barley.
It also said Monday it will investigate whether Australian wine exports had been unfairly subsidized.Last week, Australia effectively blocked the sale of a dairy business to a Chinese company, claiming the acquisition "would be contrary to the national interest."
Latest Stories
-
NSMQ 2026: Kpando SHS brush aside Abor, Jukwa to storm One-Eighth stage with 32 point gap
12 minutes -
Duncan Amoah: Gov’t should create conditions for 24-hour economy, not build markets
18 minutes -
JoyNews-Republic Bank Habitat Fair finale turns homeownership dreams into real possibilities
51 minutes -
Bamiri chief commissions KG block, guest house to boost education and revenue
1 hour -
NSMQ 2026: Yaa Asantewaa Girls’ going ‘beck’ to Tanoso after Bishop Herman deals them early exit
2 hours -
Data Protection Commission acquires two vehicles to strengthen data protection enforcement
2 hours -
NSMQ 2026: Holy Child School storms back from two-year NSMQ absence to book One-Eighth ticket
3 hours -
GNFS dismisses reports of unpaid 2025 rent allowance
4 hours -
Gordon Asare-Bediako steps down from NPP Communications Director race, backs Dennis Aboagye
5 hours -
GES dismisses requirement for newly promoted teachers to submit documents for salary adjustments
5 hours -
Meko Bono 2026: Vice President pledges agricultural revival as Atebubu hosts grand homecoming
6 hours -
Russian skydiver Sergey Boytcov sets world record with 11,551-metre stratosphere jump
6 hours -
Ablakwa-led committee submits five reports to Mahama ahead of 2027 AU chairmanship
6 hours -
Africa not seeking Western cash in reparations campaign – Ablakwa
6 hours -
Production decline, reserve depletion threaten Ghana’s upstream sector – Jinapor
6 hours