Foreign-born Ghanaian players who seek to switch their nationality and play for the Black Stars must play in the qualifiers for the 2023 Africa Cup of Nations (AFCON), former Black Stars player Emmanuel Agyemang Badu has warned.
A number of players, who had previously been sceptical about playing for the Black Stars are said to be considering a change of mind following the team’s qualification to the 2022 FIFA World Cup after beating Nigeria to a spot.
However, Agyemang Badu, who was a member of Ghana’s 2010 and 2014 World Cup squad, has charged the rumoured players to be heavily involved in the qualifiers for the 2023 AFCON before the World Cup to prove their commitment to playing for Ghana.
“Those who wouldn’t have any problem switching nationality must be ready for the 2023 AFCON qualifiers so they get familiar with the terrain, It shouldn’t be that the player plays the world cup and that’s it,” the Under-20 World Cup winner told Max 87.9 FM.
Following the Black Stars securing a ticket to Qatar, Inaki Williams, Nico Williams and Tariq Lamptey have all been linked to a possible nationality switch while Arsenal’s Eddie Nketiah has revealed he is open to playing for Ghana or England.
- ECG releases load shedding timetable for March 30 to April 7
- TikToker Ahuofe ‘Ghana Tupac’ dead
- Chief of Mujipe shot dead, son in critical condition
- Social media users react to TikToker Ahoufe’s death
- Larabanga Accident: Level 200 student dead, 3 others in critical condition
- BoG denies introduction of ¢500 coin, note
- Where’s the so-called excess capacity? – John Jinapor quizzes government over load shedding timetable
- Proposed taxes are draconian – Seth Terkper
- We will resume picketing if government fails to honour payment in 2-weeks – Pensioner bondholders
- Adom FM climaxes Ghana Month celebrations with splendid cultural durbar
- We need a hospital built purposely for Members of Parliament – Henry Quartey
- North Dayi District Assembly committed to improving livelihoods of PwDs – DCE
- High Court issues bench warrant for Savelugu MP
- Enterprise Group PLC appoints Keli Gadzekpo as Group Chairman
- We hope our colleagues will help pass the 3 tax measures – Oppong Nkrumah
- Justice system has not worked for Gyakye Quayson, Assin North constituents – Mahama
- Oscar Pistorius parole bid collapses in South Africa
- This Saturday on Newsfile
- Health officer in court for allegedly defiling two teenagers at Nkwanta
- Gbewaa College incurs over GHȻ7k debt weekly to feed teacher trainees – Principal
- GAEC partners EU, IAEA UNICRI to fight organised criminal activities
- What are we on earth for? – Henry Quartey mourns death of Kumawu MP
- Online safety: Fund seeks applicants for grant awards
- Music producer Kaywa loses mother
- The Multimedia Group’s Adom brand ends Ghana month with colourful cultural display