Former Ghana goalkeeper and CAF license A coach Abukari Damba has questioned the transition of football talents in the country.
The Black Stars have witnessed a decline in performances over the years, especially in the AFCON. In a competition where a semi-final place was a formality, Ghana suffered a shock exit in the round of 16 to Tunisia in the 2019 edition.
Damba, who played for the senior team in the past, stated the need to adequately develop talents to help the country stay relevant in African football.
“We remember a certain Liberty Professionals and how they were unable to unearth talents and nurture them. How many Liberty players did we have in the senior national team who played football and rose to the highest level? They played football abroad at the highest level and they were recognized. Is it the case today?” he asked Nathaniel Attoh on the Joy Sports Link.
“If you monitor our players currently and where they ply their trade in their various clubs, how many of them can we confidently say are playing week in week out? Football has become so global that you can monitor every player no matter where that player is played. The transition is not as before. It is one thing having the talent, it is another developing the talent. Are we developing the talent enough so far as transition is concerned?”
“The game has evolved so competitively that you have to do the right thing and that is what we have not yet done well. We keep talking about wining the AFCON but are we doing what our competitors are doing? We must set our priorities if we want to remain relevant.”
Ghana have qualified for the 2021 AFCON with a head-to-head advantage over South Africa and Sudan in Group C of the qualifiers.
- I have received calls to stop disconnection exercise – ECG boss
- Bride ‘faints’ briefly as Joe Mettle pops up at her wedding reception
- George Addo Jnr appointed Director of Communications at UK’s Coach Hene Sports Club
- My divorce drew me closer to God – New EC member Rev. Akua Ofori Boateng
- Ato Forson was criminally reckless in ambulance transaction – Attorney General
- Ghana Immigration Service cancels filling of embarkation and disembarkation forms
- IMF bailout to depend on government’s ability to achieve 55% of debt to GDP – Fitch
- Fitch upgrades Ghana’s rating to ‘CCC’
- Shatta Wale gives conditions for return to VGMA
- I was praised for singing Teni’s song in church – New EC member
- AG Dame dialogues with UK Deputy PM over criminal justice reform
- Immigration fuels Canada’s largest population growth of over 1 million
- Walking barefoot improves menstrual flow, eyesight, sleep, hypertension, pain, and inflammation
- Jay Bahd is bigger than the ‘Best New Artist’ category – DJ Slim
- Russia ‘will bomb any country that arrests Putin’ – Former Russian president
- Gisele Bundchen says Tom Brady divorce was ‘death of my dream’
- Akufo-Addo’s appointments of NPP activists to EC require amendment of Article 43 – Mahama
- ICC concerned by Russia’s ‘threats’ over Putin warrant
- Why is everyone wearing these cartoonish red boots?
- Ken Ofori-Atta leads delegation to start debt restructuring talks with China
- BBC advises staff to delete TikTok from work phones
- Volta ECG reconnects Ho Airport, GRA, others after payments
- Explicitly state your opposition to scrapping of ex-gratia – Mahama tells NPP
- I still believe Ghana can be managed with 60 ministers – Mahama
- South Africa to consult Russia over Putin’s arrest warrant