A former Deputy Interior Minister, James Agalga, has asked authorities of the Ghana Refugee Board to thoroughly screen the Burkinabes who’re seeking asylum in Ghana.
According to him, the move will prevent the infiltration of terrorists.
“There is every cause for alarm because I worry that if care is not taken terrorist will take advantage of those who genuinely need help and are fleeing Burkina Faso to infiltrate.
“And when they do, it will be difficult for our security agencies to look out for these people and ensure that they do not wreak havoc for this country,” he told JoyNews on Monday.
Some thousands of Burkinabes reported fled their country, last week, following gun attacks which have left some persons dead.
The foreigners sought refuge in communities including Bansi, Mognori, Sapeliga, Kutanga and Yarigungu in the Binduri, Bawku municipality and Bawku West district.
The Refugee Board has since dispatched a team to the area to assess the situation.
However, Mr Agalga believes government must do more to tighten security.
“It is a serious problem,” he emphasised.
- #OccupyJulorbiHouse: Policeman sits on the floor to plead with demonstrators to unblock roads
- Cecilia Dapaah case: Let’s tread cautiously as investigations continue – Domelevo
- UEFA awards Mohammed Kudus’ second goal to him after initially declaring it own goal against Backa Topola
- Cecilia Dapaah case: People must guard against contempt in commentary – Gary Nimako
- The Career Trail: Quitting banking for jewellery business; Ella Cadie’s bold career shift
- I’ll release audio recording of Kan Dapaah’s $1m offer to silence me – Barker-Vormawor
- #OccupyJulorbiHouse: Police arresting protesters without a warrant was unlawful – Inusah Fuseini
- Photos and videos: Protesters hit the street on day 3 of #OccupyJulorbiHouse demonstration
- #OccupyJulorbiHouse: Organisers of demonstrations must respect the law – Gary Nimako
- Ghana is in a leadership crisis; African leaders lack consciousness – Prof Adu-Gyamfi
- MMALABS signs MoU with Spintex Medical Center to boost quality healthcare
- NPP flagbearer race: Bawumia suspends campaign over ongoing limited registration exercise
- Sharaf Mahama celebrates 26th birthday with donation and reading session with kids
- I’m not the 3rd richest man in Ghana – Dr Kwame Addo-Kufuor
- Desist from registering JHS 1 and 2 students for BECE – Public school heads warned