Police in the Northern Region have arrested a nurse at the Damango Government Hospital for allegedly raping a European tourist who was on admission at the facility.
Ernest Green, 28, is being held for allegedly raping the patient who came to the facility to seek malaria treatment last Friday.
The tourist, who is also a social worker, had visited the Mole National Park last Wednesday from her Volta Region base when she took ill and was rushed to the hospital.
Public Relations Officer of the Northern Region Police command, ASP Yussif Tanko, who confirmed the story to Joy News' said the incident occurred in a private ward of the hospital.
Police said the Mr Green asked the victim if she would prefer a private ward when she was checked in but she opted for the sideward because of her condition.
The tourist told the police that the suspect frequented her ward many times before the rape incident.
Mr Green sensed the victim's discomfort with the frequent visits and asked her to relax.
According to the victim, on the day she was raped, she came back from the washroom very weak, because she was suffering from a running stomach, to meet the Mr Green in her room.
She said because of her condition she could not get onto the bed, and hence reluctantly accepted Mr Green's help.
The police say the suspect after helping the victim onto the bed sat by her side, started fondling her breast and eventually had unprotected sex with her.
The victim later lodged a complaint at the Damongo Police Station leading to Mr Green's arrest.
Mr Green in his statement to the police denied the allegations.
According to ASP Yussif Mohammed Tanko, the Northern Regional headquarters of the police Criminal Investigations Department (CID) has taken over the investigation.
Some tests have been conducted and a team of investigators would be dispatched to the crime scene Monday, he added.
The police PRO said a provisional rape charge has been proffered against the Mr Green.
The suspect is set to appear in court tomorrow.
Have your say
More Business Headlines
- GCB supports completion of Alavanyo Maternity Clinic with ¢100,000
- Julian Kingsley Opuni appointed new Fidelity Bank Managing Director
- I doubt ADB would delist from Ghana Stock Exchange – GSE boss
- VIDEO: Farmers urge gov't to revamp Ghana’s seed factories
- GRA storms businesses to retrieve outstanding tax liabilities
- Ecobank appoints MFS Africa as digital payment partner
- Martell to launch two new outstanding cognacs in Ghana
- All animals are equal, but some are more equal than others
- Huawei’s Washington presence dwindles amid legal brawl with U.S.
- Shell, Eni face $1.1 billion Nigerian lawsuit over 2011 oil deal
- Rashida Saani Nasamu, Atta Akyea, others honoured with Nobles awards
- Total Petroleum Ghana wins Brand of the Year award
- ADB likely to delist from Ghana Stock Exchange
- The Seed Funds partners Kenya's 4G Capital fintech company
- Ghana could cut interest rates by March - Dr Ernest Addison