Government is in talks with Standard Chartered Plc and Standard Bank Group Ltd. for a bridge loan of $750 million and will repay the facility with the proceeds of a Eurobond sale.
The finance ministry listed the proposal for a syndicated loan in Friday’s parliamentary order papers and said it is intended to “fund or refinance development projects and for liability management,” according to the document.
The facility would be a short-term loan, Mark Assibey-Yeboah, chairman of the finance committee, said by phone.
“This is bridge financing against the Eurobond,” he said, adding that the bond sale may take two or three months to be finalized.
Ghana needs $2 billion in foreign-currency debt to help finance its budget and will take on an additional $1 billion if it’s able to secure loans or securities at lower rates than it’s paying for existing liabilities.
Last month, West Africa’s biggest economy after Nigeria appointed five banks, including StanChart and Johannesburg-based Standard Bank, as lead arrangers for a Eurobond sale, according to people familiar with the matter.
Have your say
More Business Headlines
- Nothing in life happens by chance – MTN boss tells youth
- Ghana benefiting from hedged gold prices
- Cedi records marginal appreciation against dollar after weeks of sustained depreciation
- Huawei defies global troubles with accelerating sales growth
- Gov’t urged to introduce legislation to regulate social enterprising
- Christian businessmen can stick to Godly principles and still be successful – T.D Jakes
- Telcos asked to stop sale of sim cards on the streets
- 1D1F: Petersfield & Rey, CASA de Ropa start production
- Cabinet approves Downstream Petroleum Policy
- Gov’t receives €40m grant to promote investments, job creation
- Dutch businesses explore investment opportunities in Ghana’s horticulture sector
- COCOBOD money not solution to free falling cedi – Bentil
- We will bring back the past status of farmers - Dr Akoto
- West Hills Mall gives corporate workers March treat
- Over 30 entries received for Ghana Beverage Awards 2018