Audio By Carbonatix
The Confederation of African Football has requested the UK government to grant an exemption to African players for the International football window.
The request comes after the Premier League said yesterday that its clubs had “reluctantly but unanimously” decided not to release players for matches in red-list countries during September’s international break.
Under current UK government rules, players would be forced to miss several games because of the 10-day isolation period required on return to the UK.
The Premier League said “extensive talks” had taken place with the Football Association and government “to find a solution” but that “no exemption had been granted”.
It added that it “strongly supported” the move made by top-flight sides, which “will apply to nearly 60 players from 19 clubs who are due to travel to 26 red-list countries”.
CAF has urged the British Government to "urgently provide the required exemptions to enable African players to compete for their countries in the upcoming FIFA World Cup Qatar 2022 qualifiers."
The African football governing body also reiterated that games will be held under strict protocols prescribed by FIFA and administered globally.
Below is the full statement.

Latest Stories
-
Without discipline, Ghana risks a return to IMF – CPS Director warns
5 minutes -
Minority caucus demands immediate laying of BoG accounts before Parliament
9 minutes -
Black Sherif takes victory lap to Telecel Ghana HQ after 27th TGMA sweep
15 minutes -
Build inclusion into core of workplace culture – Telecel Ghana HR Director
20 minutes -
The youth are drowning – Vivies Dance and Theatre Academy sparks national conversation on addiction
24 minutes -
Bank of Ghana revoked GN Savings & Loans licence solely on insolvency grounds, not other alleged breaches — Lawyer for GN reveals
28 minutes -
Justice for Sale: How Ghana’s laws protect the powerful and punish the poor
34 minutes -
I wish some Ghanaians in US would go to school and improve themselves – Ambassador Smith
34 minutes -
2026 World Cup: Ghana’s Ambassador to US dismisses reports that only 3 out of 150 supporters secured visa
36 minutes -
Afoko calls for research-driven strategy to rebuild NPP ahead of 2028 elections
49 minutes -
Guinness Ghana Annual Golf Championship set for May 30 at Achimota Golf Club
59 minutes -
Ghana to announce World Cup squad on June 1 – Kurt Okraku
2 hours -
Livestream: Newsfile dicusses attack on free speech and return of GN Bank
2 hours -
Panic in Sunyani: Chiefs to perform rituals after mystery deaths of two successive headteachers
4 hours -
The party has lost ground – Paul Afoko breaks long silence to launch NPP comeback
4 hours