Audio By Carbonatix
The Court of Arbitration for Sport (CAS) has temporarily lifted the three-year ban imposed on 26-year-old striker Solomon Safo-Taylor by the Ghana Football Association (GFA) Disciplinary Committee.
This decision allows the former Asante Kotoko and Karela United player to resume his professional football career while awaiting the outcome of his appeal.
The ban, issued on April 15, 2024, stemmed from allegations of double registration and document falsification, jeopardizing his contract with Asante Kotoko.
Safo-Taylor appealed the decision on November 6, 2024, and on December 4, 2024, CAS granted a provisional ruling in his favour. Signed by Dr Elisabeth Steiner, Deputy President of the CAS Appeals Arbitration Division, the ruling includes measures reinstating his player license and allowing him to return to football activities during the ongoing arbitration process.
The CAS ruling also provisionally overturns the GFA Appeals Committee's confirmation of the ban on May 29, 2024. The costs associated with the interim order will be determined in the final arbitration decision.
The Professional Footballers Association of Ghana (PFAG) welcomed the decision, describing it as "good news." In a statement, the PFAG said:
The PFAG acknowledges the provisional ruling from the Court of Arbitration for Sport (CAS) lifting the ban on Solomon Safo Taylor and reinstating his license. The case is ongoing, and the player, with support from PFAG, is now able to continue his career.#pfaghana pic.twitter.com/pDmsbuDZBo
— PFAG (@PFAGofficial) December 4, 2024
“This CAS ruling signals an opportunity for our member to be reinstated so he can continue his professional football career pending a final determination on the matter.”
The GFA has not yet responded to the CAS ruling.
Latest Stories
-
Dr Abena Nyarkoa to join panel discussion at Africa Together Conference in Cambridge
2 hours -
Walmart warns US shoppers are cutting spending as higher petrol prices bite
3 hours -
Flexible exchange rate regime critical in absorbing external shocks – First Deputy Governor
3 hours -
Toilets and changing rooms must be used on basis of biological sex, guidance confirms
3 hours -
Emily in Paris to end after sixth season, says Netflix
3 hours -
Angry crowd sets Ebola hospital tents on fire in DR Congo
3 hours -
Russia and China condemn US over indictment of former Cuban leader
3 hours -
Bank of Ghana reverts to previous Cash Reserve Ratio policy after scrapping it last year
3 hours -
Ghana-eligible defender Beres Owusu signs permanent deal with Grazer AK
3 hours -
A Super El Niño is coming: What does it mean for Ghana?
4 hours -
Driving Schools Association pushes for mandatory driver training to reduce road crashes
4 hours -
Climate change exists with or without humans — Youth advocate
4 hours -
Plastic waste driving flooding and climate concerns in Bamaahu — Youth Climate Reporter
5 hours -
This week on The Career Trail
5 hours -
My book was born out of university research – Mary Anane Awuku
5 hours