Audio By Carbonatix
The Ghana Police Service has directed the Ashanti Regional Chairman of the New Patriotic Party (NPP), Bernard Antwi-Boasiako, popularly known as Chairman Wontumi, to report again to the Criminal Investigation Department (CID) on Tuesday, May 27, 2025, at 3:00 p.m.
In a press release dated May 26, 2025, and signed by Superintendent Joseph Benefo Darkwah, Head of the Public Affairs Unit at the CID, the police stated that Chairman Wontumi had reported to the CID Headquarters earlier that day following an official invitation.
He was cautioned on three key allegations: Undertaking mining operations without a license, pollution of water bodies and entering a forest reserve without authorisation.
According to the police, Chairman Wontumi was accompanied by a team of lawyers led by former Attorney General Godfred Dame. The statement noted that he cooperated fully with investigators and gave a formal statement.
He was subsequently granted bail and is expected to continue assisting with the investigation.

The CID says further developments in the matter will be communicated to the general public.
Wontumi earlier today turned himself in to the Ghana Police Service following last week's failed attempt by operatives of the National Intelligence Bureau (NIB) to execute a search warrant at his Kumasi home on May 23.
A tense standoff ensued on that day when heavily armed national security operatives tried to enter his residence with a court-approved search warrant.
According to JoyNews, the operation was close to leading to an arrest when Chairman Wontumi raised an alarm, drawing a crowd of supporters to the scene.
The standoff prompted negotiations between the operatives and Wontumi’s legal team. The operatives eventually withdrew, and Wontumi’s lawyers agreed to present him to the police on Monday.”
The state is pursuing Bernard Antwi Boasiako for his alleged involvement in illegal mining activities through his company, Akonta Mining.
Earlier this month, Land and Natural Resources Minister Emmanuel Armah Kofi Buah announced the termination of the Akonta Mining lease. Wontumi, however, is challenging the cancellation in court.
Latest Stories
-
Modi spent years building his strong image – why is he making Gen Z reels now?
1 hour -
Canada ‘should fight’ as US trade deadline looms, Manitoba premier says
1 hour -
Man Utd agree ÂŁ70m fee for Brighton’s Baleba
2 hours -
Inter-Agency Football Gala: YEA organize event as part of National Youth Month celebration
2 hours -
Receiver fights High Court order to hand over No.1 Oxford Street Hotel to Cheddar’s company
2 hours -
Partey begins new chapter in Saudi Arabia with Al Shabab
2 hours -
NSMQ 2026: St. Francis Xavier deny debutants Pentecost SHS one-eighth spot
2 hours -
One killed in sword attack at Swedish school
2 hours -
NSMQ 2026: Tamale SHS sweep aside Kalpohin, Wenchi Methodist to reach one-eighth stage
3 hours -
Tupac murder accused told police in 2008 his nephew fired fatal shots
3 hours -
Heart of the Beast to Practical Magic 2: 10 of the best films to watch this September
3 hours -
NSMQ 2026: Tears of relief as Labone SHS survive Notre Dame Sem. in thriller to secure one-eighth spot
3 hours -
Onga Tomato Mix unveils Diana Hamilton as Brand Ambassador
4 hours -
NSMQ 2026: Winneba Secondary School holds off Fijai SHS to reach one-eighth stage
4 hours -
KNUST assures staff, public over statute review process amid UTAG concerns
4 hours