The Ministry of Chieftaincy and Religious Affairs, has acknowledged the generous cash donation by the National Chief Imam, Sheikh Osman Nuhu Sharubutu towards the construction of the National Cathedral.
A statement issued by the Ministry of Chieftaincy and Religious Affairs, sighted by the Ghana News Agency, said the Ministry welcomed the singular gesture by the National Chief Imam in support of mobilisation of funds for a national edifice.
The Ministry stated that they believed the action of Chief Imam would deepen the unique goodwill between Muslims and Christians in the country.
“The inter-faith harmony that exists among the various religious groups in the country is an enviable one that calls for all efforts to protect it for posterity. Sheikh Sharubutu’s gesture remains an open testament that will not be forgotten in the history of religious tolerance in the country.”
This comes after the construction of the National Cathedral received a boost with a GH¢50,000 contribution from the National Chief Imam, Sheikh Osman Nuhu Sharubutu.
He is hopeful, the money will aid the speedy construction of the national edifice, which is also expected to serve as a tourist site to earn revenue.
This donation has been criticised by many Ghanaians after the Finance Minister, during the presentation of the Mid-year Budget Review, called on the citizenry to donate GH¢100 a month, towards the over $100 million project.
It has divided the populace, with many arguing that the government must focus on important projects that the Cathedral is not part of.
However, the Chieftaincy Ministry encouraged individuals, groups and institutions to also support the initiative.
The Ministry affirmed its commitment to ensuring peaceful co-existence among divergent religious groups in the country to ensure peace for the development of the country.
- Peter Nanfuri’s name will be written in gold in Ghana’s history – Akufo-Addo eulogizes former IGP
- Social media reacts to Bawumia’s ‘One student, One laptop’ announcement
- Agyinasare says he has no intention to cast a slur on Nogokpo and Voltarians
- NPP group in Ashanti angry with Napo over his ‘anti-party’ comments
- Playback: Akufo-Addo addressed Ghanaians on Covid-19, IMF
- ‘This too has passed’ – Akufo-Addo on Covid-19 pandemic
- Stop insulting citizens if you want to be president again – Nana Akomea tells Mahama
- Akufo-Addo to address nation on Covid-19 fight, IMF deal tonight
- IMF bailout won’t immediately end Ghana’s difficulties – Akufo-Addo
- Don’t join NPP if you don’t believe in ‘Development in freedom’ motto – Pianim
- Edem Agbana commends Adentan and Ring-Road Central Rotaract clubs for their donation to Tadzewu M/A Basic School
- Ashanti Region Super Zonals: OKESS and St. Louis triumph as T.I Ahmadiyya lose top spots
- Fitch Solutions maintains 2.9% growth rate forecast for Ghana 2023
- Let’s unite to remove E-levy, Covid-19 levy – Ablakwa urges MPs
- Review of flagship programmes: Let’s not touch Free SHS – Kwame Pianim
- Joseph Paintsil scores brace as Genk cruise past Club Brugge
- Turkish election victory for Erdogan leaves nation divided
- Lawrence Agyekum & Forson Amankwah win Austrian league title with Red Bull Salzburg
- World Bank releases additional $150m for Odaw Basin flood control
- Amedzorfe chief Okusie Akyem Foli V laid to rest
- GPL: ‘We are out’ – Paa Kwesi Fabin says Aduana cannot win title
- Virtual InfoSec builds Bank of Ghana’s state-of-the-art cybersecurity centre
- Yhaw Hero back with new song ‘Cold War’
- Today’s front pages: Monday, May 29, 2023
- Reality zone with Vicky Wireko: ECG’s revenue mobilisation drive: simply the best