An Accra Circuit has deferred the sentence of a 36-year-old woman who admitted to stealing GH¢50,000 belonging to her employer.
The Court presided over by Mr Kwabena Koduah Obiri-Yeboah ordered for a pregnancy test to be conducted on Joyce Enyonam Dedei before she is sentenced.
Dedei pleaded guilty to stealing and was convicted on her own plea. She has been remanded into Police custody to reappear on February 1, 2023.
Before her conviction, she pleaded with the court for leniency adding that she did not commit the crime intentionally.
In pleading for mitigation, the accused person said she had three children aged between 4 and 18 years who depend on her.
The prosecuting officer, Chief Inspector Olivia Ofori-Atta earlier told the Court that Juliana Koleki Colley, the complainant is a chop bar operator who employed Dedei, a trader, as an attendant.
She said the complainant lived close to the Births and Deaths Registry at the Ministries Area, whereas Dedei stayed at Ayigbe Town, a suburb of Accra.
Chief Inspector Olivia said about seven years ago, Dedei moved to live with Madam Juliana when she employed her.
The prosecution said Madam Juliana who had kept the GHC50,000.00 in her room went shopping at Agblogbloshie market and left Dedei behind.
She said the complainant [Madam Juliana] returned from the market only to discover that both her money and Dedei were missing.
All efforts to trace Dedei failed. However, luck eluded Dedei when the complainant spotted her in town, caused her arrest and handed her over to the Ministries’ Police.
Chief Inspector Olivia said Dedei in her cautioned statement admitted stealing only GHC8,000.00.
- Akufo-Addo swears in 3 new members of Electoral Commission
- ECG disconnects power to Ho Airport, GRA over debt
- Fella Makafui reacts after Twitter user accuses her of ‘sleeping’ with Medikal’s ex-manager
- ‘Western Togoland’: 5 secessionists handed 5 years in jail each
- Overborrowing is one of Akufo-Addo’s biggest mistakes – Prof Adei
- Ludacris hangs out with Sarkodie in Ghana, fans speculate new music
- Ghana v Angola: Kingsley Schindler replaces injured Tariq Lamptey
- Cedi may record mixed performance to dollar this week
- Putin says ties with Africa a priority to Moscow
- GALLERY: Best pictures from Black Stars training at Accra Sports Stadium on Monday
- Ghana’s economy is still afloat because of Alan Kyerematen’s vision – Buaben Asamoah
- Intimidation of journalists is on the rise – Kweku Andoh Awotwi
- I have already won Ayawaso West Wuogon NDC primaries – Fred Nuamah
- Livestream: One-one-on with Managing Director of ECG on PM Express
- EC has become an annex of the NPP – Sammy Gyamfi
- If you move right, you don’t need 10 shows to be okay – Kelvyn Boy
- Akufo-Addo is packing EC with known NPP members – Kofi Adams
- 3 JoyNews journalists win big at Merck Foundation 2022 Media Recognition Awards
- I want to be President to build a new Ghana –Kwaku Kobeah
- Essence of marketing is creation of strong brands – Nsarkoh
- Christiana Awuni explains why ‘slay queens’ can’t quit having body enhancement surgeries
- Spend wisely, desist from expensive borrowing – GSE boss to government
- GOIL supports Appiatse Disaster Fund
- Headmasters can’t stop students from reporting to school over prospectus – Education Minister tells parents
- It’s been an insightful experience – Funke Akindele breaks silence after losing elections