Audio By Carbonatix
President Akufo-Addo has advised Ghanaians who intend to travel to high-risk Covid-19 countries to postpone or cancel their trips.
Addressing the nation on measures taken against Covid-19, the President said these countries are recording more infections and increased death toll.
“I want to reiterate as captured in the travel directive jointly issued by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs and the Ghana Health Service that all nonessential trips to countries with high Covid-19 infection rates should either be canceled or postponed.”
“We must be mindful of the associated risk and travel to and from these countries at this time. There will be plenty of time, God willing for such trips in the future, we will continue to review our travel restriction measures. Thus, people must be cautious of the associated risk involved in travelling to these countries", President Akufo-Addo said.
His comment comes after India and some other countries in Asia recorded huge cases of infections leading to a strain on their health systems.
In early May, the World Health Organisation said that India accounted for nearly half of the coronavirus cases reported worldwide and one in four of the deaths.
The World Health Organization (WHO) classified the coronavirus variant first found in India last year as a "variant of global concern".
President Akufo-Addo urged Ghanaians who want to travel to be cautious and wait for the risk to subside.
Meanwhile, President Akufo-Addo says the country will begin the second phase of the COVID-19 vaccination exercise on Wednesday, May 19.
“The deployment of the second dose of vaccines will take place across the designated vaccination centres in the 43 districts approximately 12 weeks after the first jab as the science prescribes.”
Latest Stories
-
IES demands release of July 29 blackout report after latest nationwide outage
8 minutes -
Eastern TESCON backs Boakye Agyarko for NPP National Chairman
13 minutes -
Eduwatch demands review of BOGISS decision against 14-year-old alleged sexual abuse victim
19 minutes -
Banking sector was undercapitalised for much of decade preceding 2017 cleanup – Opoku-Afari
20 minutes -
Togo charges two French journalists over incorrect documents, rights group says
21 minutes -
Education Ministry condemns alleged sexual abuse of BOGISS student
31 minutes -
Lawyers challenge demolition of elderly woman’s Oyarifa residence, demand formal engagement
45 minutes -
Change in mode of support package for Ghanaians returning from South Africa delayed announcement – MTN Board Chairman
46 minutes -
Mining industry must rethink social licence with youth at the centre – GoldBod CEO
51 minutes -
BoG encourages banks to list on GSE to unlock long-term capital
1 hour -
NSMQ 2026: Nandom SHS complete stunning comeback, edge Ghana SHS by a point to reach one-eighth stage
1 hour -
NPP must heal and rebuild after 2024 defeat to win 2028 election – Former Volta Regional Organiser of the NPP
1 hour -
Egypt to host Africa’s premier business forum
1 hour -
The bicycle principle: why continuity matters more than balance
2 hours -
Fire guts three-storey building near Manhyia Palace in Kumasi
2 hours