The rampaging youth burnt tires and blocked section of the Nkoranza-Ejura roadto motorists

The Ghana Police Service is cautioning persons seeking to exploit the Nkoranza clashes for their own interests to desist from doing so.

The Police said the motives of these persons will not deter them (Police) from discharging their constitutional mandate in maintaining law and order in the country.

The Police made this known in a press statement issued on Sunday, May 22, and signed by its Director-General of Public Affairs.

Desist from capitalising on Nkoranza crisis for your own interests - Police warns
Nkoranza clash

“However, we would like to caution those who are capitalising on the crisis for their own interests to desist from it, since that will not deter us from executing our constitutional mandate.”

Meanwhile, it disclosed that all suspects arrested in connection to clashes have been arraigned and remanded.

Desist from capitalising on Nkoranza crisis for your own interests - Police warns
Police statement

It also said it going after others who have been identified as having been involved in the violent attacks as well.

“So far, all the suspects arrested in connection with the disturbances have been put before the court and remanded into lawful custody.”

“We are pursuing others who have been identified for their involvement in the violent attacks and those who escaped from lawful custody, to bring them to face justice.”

Background

The Nkoranza Municipal Police Command claims that Albert Donkor was an armed robber who died in an exchange of fire with them.

However, the family has refuted the claims, saying he was picked up from home into Police custody, where he died.

His death has led to some level of disturbances in the community.

On Tuesday, May 17, the area’s youth went on rampage and attacked the Municipal Police headquarters to demand justice for the deceased.

They freed six other suspects picked up by the Police on suspicion of being armed robbers together with the deceased.

During the rampage by the youth, one person has also been confirmed dead, whilst nine persons, including three in critical condition, are receiving treatment for gunshot wounds at the St. Theresa’s Catholic Hospital.

However, the Police have already arrested two persons for their involvement in the attack.