Audio By Carbonatix
More than 50 people are missing after a leaking oil pipeline exploded and caused a stampede in southern Nigeria, a local official said Saturday.
The blast early Friday caused massive oil spillage in the Nembe kingdom in Bayelsa state, the Nembe Chiefs Council spokesman, Chief Nengi James-Eriworio, told The Associated Press.
The Nembe trunk line is operated by the Port Harcourt-based Aiteo Group and carries crude to the Bonny export terminal. Aiteo had yet to comment on the explosion. It was not immediately clear if the pipeline had been shut down.
Video obtained by the AP shows a large blaze from the ruptured pipeline at night as villagers look on. “If they turn off the oil well from the station, the pressure inside the pipeline would reduce, causing the flame to burn out,” one person is heard in the background explaining.
The Niger Delta is highly polluted. Nigerian oil companies usually assert that the majority of oil spills are caused by sabotage, theft and illegal refining.
Deadly accidents caused by leaking pipelines are alarmingly common. In January, an overturned oil tanker exploded in Odukpani in Cross River state while dozens of people were scooping up the leaking fuel. Police said at least 12 people were killed while some witnesses estimated up to 60 were dead.
Hundreds of people have died in similar accidents in recent years in Africa's largest oil producer as impoverished people risk their lives to collect fuel leaking from pipelines or trucks.

DISCLAIMER: The Views, Comments, Opinions, Contributions and Statements made by Readers and Contributors on this platform do not necessarily represent the views or policy of Multimedia Group Limited.
DISCLAIMER: The Views, Comments, Opinions, Contributions and Statements made by Readers and Contributors on this platform do not necessarily represent the views or policy of Multimedia Group Limited.
Latest Stories
-
Gov’t to form 6-member team to supervise Adamus mine turnaround
7 minutes -
Wontumi is not Mandela, NPP must be realistic about chairmanship bid – Musa Danquah
10 minutes -
Government gives Adamus Resources reprieve, orders 12-month turnaround plan
39 minutes -
Road Ministry to report two people to EOCO for influencing property owners affected by road constructions
43 minutes -
NSMQ 2026: Kadjebi-Asato SHS holds off Ahantaman Girls’ SHS to book one-eighth spot
1 hour -
The Law 101: A critique of the injunction ruling for trials in the legal vacation
1 hour -
‘4.3m JHS, 9.5m primary textbooks’ – Opoku Mensah tells Education spokesperson to check records
1 hour -
TanoBoase Sacred Grove: Dzifa Gomashie pledges year-end commissioning as eco-tourism gem awaits revival
1 hour -
AK24 Entertainment makes history with sold-out ‘R2Bees Live in Ohio’ concert
1 hour -
NPP acting lawlessly by allowing Wontumi to pursue chairmanship – Rashid Tanko
1 hour -
‘Hungry to win’ – Villa’s Konsa joins Arsenal in £55m deal
1 hour -
Argentina’s Paredes banned for 10 games
1 hour -
Republic Bank Ghana and Enterprise Life launch enhanced insurance products for customers
2 hours -
Patrons explore property, construction solutions as Day 1 of Republic Bank-JoyNews Habitat Fair ends
2 hours -
NSMQ 2026: Anglican SHS cruise to one-eighth stage as Namong SHTS shine on debut
2 hours