Celebrated South African singer, Yvonne Chaka Chaka, says the cost of internet data is a major challenge to digital streaming in Africa.
According to the ‘Princess of Africa’, data is expensive in this part of the world.
“Everything is going streaming but we need to have data. Data becomes very expensive. People do have phones but some people don’t have smartphones.”
The ‘Burning Up’ hitmaker noted that strides by musicians to maximize opportunities available on digital streaming platforms have been hindered by high internet data charges.
Yvonne Chaka Chaka indicated that the progress of the African music industry has been slow because compact disc (CDs) are no longer selling coupled with huge expenses for music streaming.
“CDs are not selling, tapes are no longer there. Everything has gone digital…so we need to allow the transition to come. Record companies are not transitioning as quickly as possible,” she said.
Yvonne Chaka Chaka made these comments on the sidelines of the AFRIMA Music Business Summit in Accra held last week.
The Business Summit forms part of activities for this year’s All Africa Music Awards (AFRIMA) which was hosted by Ghana.
Other guests who graced the summit include Kenny Ogungbe of Kennis Music, Rab Bakari, an international artiste agent, MUSIGA President Obour, and a host of academics in the business arena.
2018 AFRIMA was climaxed with an awards show on Saturday, November 24, at the Accra International Conference Center.
Have your say
More Entertainment Headlines
- VGMA@20: Charterhouse was interested in tickets than security – Randy Abbey
- I still love Shatta Wale but... – Sarkodie on complicated relationship
- See alleged killer of Chris Attoh’s wife
- Shatta Wale’s mother replies Okraku Mantey over Shatta’s conduct
- VGMA@20 clash: Shatta Wale’s father discloses why he climbed the stage
- Shatta Wale is an attention seeker, doesn’t know his limits – Okraku Mantey
- Baako sees silver lining in Stonebwoy-Shatta Wale brawl
- Video: I thought Stonebwoy, Shatta Wale would learn from my experience – Gemann
- DJ Switch makes it unto billboard in Times Square
- Kwesi Arthur motivates students to win 2019 Queen’s Commonwealth Essay
- KiDi: Charterhouse should be sanctioned for role in VGMA brawl
- Fault Stonebwoy, Shatta Wale but blame Charterhouse too – Sarkodie
- Jim Iyke enjoys bullying me – Ini Edo
- Harvey Weinstein 'to settle with accusers for $44m'
- M.anifest fights child abuse