Celebrated South African singer, Yvonne Chaka Chaka, says the cost of internet data is a major challenge to digital streaming in Africa.
According to the ‘Princess of Africa’, data is expensive in this part of the world.
“Everything is going streaming but we need to have data. Data becomes very expensive. People do have phones but some people don’t have smartphones.”
The ‘Burning Up’ hitmaker noted that strides by musicians to maximize opportunities available on digital streaming platforms have been hindered by high internet data charges.
Yvonne Chaka Chaka indicated that the progress of the African music industry has been slow because compact disc (CDs) are no longer selling coupled with huge expenses for music streaming.
“CDs are not selling, tapes are no longer there. Everything has gone digital…so we need to allow the transition to come. Record companies are not transitioning as quickly as possible,” she said.
Yvonne Chaka Chaka made these comments on the sidelines of the AFRIMA Music Business Summit in Accra held last week.
The Business Summit forms part of activities for this year’s All Africa Music Awards (AFRIMA) which was hosted by Ghana.
Other guests who graced the summit include Kenny Ogungbe of Kennis Music, Rab Bakari, an international artiste agent, MUSIGA President Obour, and a host of academics in the business arena.
2018 AFRIMA was climaxed with an awards show on Saturday, November 24, at the Accra International Conference Center.
Have your say
More Entertainment Headlines
- Photos: Music Producer, Kaywa ordained man of God
- Oscars 2019: 17 quirky facts about this year's Academy Awards
- Okyeame Kwame, wife present third edition of ‘Flaunt Your Lover’
- Let’s cast our nets wider when booking artistes for shows – Tic
- Video: Meet #empawa100 final ten artistes
- Drake buys $400,000 diamond encrusted iPhone case
- Cwesi Oteng elated to have presented latest album to Akufo-Addo
- Donald Trump retweets viral video of woman juggling football
- John Dumelo reacts to ‘predatory and gross’ hugging of Legon students
- Video/Photos: Celestine Donkor thrills in first Drive Time Live Concert
- Video: Stonebwoy to headline Independence Concert
- Video: Our leaders are selfish - Don Little
- Jussie Smollett had no role in own attack, lawyers say
- Video: Young rapper takes on politicians, police, slay queens in freestyle rap
- NYPD investigating commander accused of telling officers to shoot 50 Cent