The African Union Commission (AUC) has announced Ghana as the host country for the 5th All Africa Music Awards (AFRIMA).
This, the organizers noted, follows the “receipt of the Letter of Intent to Host AFRIMA dated April 18, 2018, addressed to the Commissioner of Social Affairs, African Union Commission, Mrs Amira Elfadil and signed by the Minister of Tourism, Arts and Culture, Ghana, Catherine Afeku.”
The 5th AFRIMA Host Country unveiling was done at the African Union Headquarters in Addis Ababa, Ethiopia on Thursday, September 6, 2018.
It was done by the AU’s Acting Director for Social Affairs, Mariama Cisse Mohamed; Head of Culture, African Union, Ms Angela Martins, and President and Executive Producer of AFRIMA, Mr.Mike Dada.
In her response, Mrs Amira Elfadil congratulated Ghana “on overcoming the competition involved in hosting AFRIMA and winning the Host Country rights through a transparent process.”
The AU also thanked the Lagos State Government (Nigeria) for partnering and supporting the successful hosting of previous editions of AFRIMA.
“We are counting on the Republic of Ghana to fulfil all requirements and efforts to make AFRIMA 2018 a huge success. The 2018 edition of AFRIMA is also the 5th edition of the continental awards and the 5th AFRIMA remains steadfast to the AUC’s values of promoting African unity and celebrating cultural uniqueness through the program of events on the AFRIMA calendar between May and November 2018.
“Music and Entertainment are key sectors of the African culture industry stimulating the sustainable social development and growth of Africa. It is in this light that the AUC is determined to support these sectors to continue to contribute significantly to Africa`s development and favourable economic advantage on the global stage,” the AU Commissioner stated further.
The event, scheduled for November 21-24, to be known as the 5th All Africa Music Awards, AFRIMA – Ghana 2018, will have main awards programme spanning four days of exhilarating activities.
Activities scheduled to precede the main awards ceremony include the AFRIMA Welcome Soiree; Africa Music Business Summit; AFRIMA Music Village; Media Interviews/Meet & Greet; and a tour of the historic Elmina Castle in Ghana.
In partnership with the African Union, the All Africa Music Awards is the biggest music event on the continent and the awards ceremony will be broadcast live to 84 countries across the globe.
Have your say
More Entertainment Headlines
- Ghanaian delegation in Spain for Vis-a-Vis Festival
- Video: Strika's handler hands over ¢40,000 to actor
- Shatta Wale to tour with Beyoncé
- We didn’t pitch any material to get selected – Bulldog opens up about Beyoncé-Shatta collab
- Milk this opportunity, it's not about ‘pah pah’ anymore – Shatta Wale told
- Shatta Wale trends #1 in Ghana, 8 worldwide after Beyonce feature news
- Celebs, fans react to news on Shatta Wale, GuiltyBeatz’s feature with Beyonce
- GuiltyBeatz produces 3 songs on Beyonce's 'The Lion King: The Gift' album
- Stonebwoy, Samini congratulate Shatta Wale on Beyonce feature
- 'I know my level!' - Beyoncé features Shatta Wale on new album
- Real Time channel Debuts on DStv, GOtv
- Support the arts industry – Kwesi Agyare to gov't
- Kagame – The tallest president in Africa is the shortest in his family
- Prince David Osei wins Best Actor award at African International Film Festival
- Bond: Black female actor, Lashana Lynch is next ‘007 agent