Hiplife artiste Gasmilla has called on the award organisers and the music industry players to accept Azonto as a genre.
Making Azonto a genre and awarding artistes for it, will make them create songs with the Azonto in mind every year, Gasmilla said on Daybreak Hitz on Hitz FM.
He explained that the the inception of the 4Syte Music Video Awards has improved the quality of music videos that artiste put out.
“Vodafone Ghana Music Awards (VGMA) organisers, if you decide to award an artiste for the ‘Azonto Song of the Year’ or ‘Azonto Artiste of the Year’, it will push people to do more,” he added.
The artiste who has championed the Azonto course for long believes it is one of the ways Ghanaian music can make it big in the international market.
“I saw there was a sound that was neglected from the coast and I decided to do it and sell it to the world,” he stated.
Gasmilla said the nature of Ghanaians to not settle for one thing has contributed to the dying of Azonto.
According to the artiste, Jamaicans have held on to Reggae and Dancehall for long and it is working for them.
“We are too creative as a people that we don’t settle on one thing. We feel that we have done something for too long so we should do something else,” he added.
The “3points” hitmaker who first commercialised Azonto explained it is important to push the Azonto as a genre before people from other states decide to own it.
“If BBC could come down to interview a guy whose video budget was not up to ¢2000 and his clothes ¢10, that alone says a lot about Azonto,” he stated.
Gasmilla also said many songs including the popular “Omo Ada” have Azonto in them but they have been classified under Afro Pop and Afrobeat and that cannot help sustain Azonto.
Have your say
More Entertainment Headlines
- Unemployment cause of increased nudity - Vicky Zugah
- Consistency and not hits alone make a good artiste - eShun
- Video: ‘I cannot say Medikal is a fraud boy’ - Strongman
- Don’t marry a woman who cannot cook – Kwesi Arthur's dad to son
- Partnering musicians as a producer is key – Jayso
- First edition of Miss United Continents, Ghana launched
- David Bolton releases visuals for ‘Odo Fofro’ featuring Samini
- Nominees for 2019 Hospitality Awards unveiled
- MUSIGA elections postponed to July 10
- Absolute Worship comes off July 7
- We need to stop the beef - Strongman Burner
- Media made slay queens popular - Ama K. Abebrese
- ‘Ups and Downs’ not a diss song - Strongman
- BET Awards: Stars pay tribute to Nipsey Hussle
- Rap battle: Medikal vs Strongman, who won?