With five days to the 2019 Vodafone Ghana Music Awards, fans have been tweeting and advocating their favourite acts to bag some awards.
Unlike past years when ‘The Artiste of the Year’ category is the biggest, many people seem to be more hooked on to the ‘Artiste of the Decade’ category, debating who deserves to win.
For Reggae and Dancehall artiste, Stonebwoy, although he is part of the nomination for the VGMA Artiste of the Decade category, he believes fellow artiste Samini should win.
He told George Quaye on Showbiz A-Z on Saturday, he would go for Samini as the winner because Ghana is a witness to his prowess, some of the things he has done and is still doing in the industry.
“He set the tone. To be honest he won the Music of Black Origin (MOBO) when no one knew about it. Samini was the first artiste to work for a telecommunication company in Ghana, he also won an MTV award,” Stonebwoy added.
The ‘Kpo Keke’ hitmaker said it was unfortunate people forget the deeds of heroes who set trends for others to follow and Samini Dagaati is one such artiste.
He explained sometimes the win is not the highlight but of a journey from their humble beginnings to how they have managed to keep going.
Stonebwoy said, “Samini Dagaati has done it and that is something and every person in the category, especially Sarkodie, Efya, Joe Mettle and R2Bees can respect that.”
Acts nominated for the VGMA Artiste of the Decade are Efya, R2Bees, Sarkodie, No Tribe and Nacee, Shatta Wale, Okyeame Kwame, Stonebwoy and Becca.
Many people have criticised the VGMA board for its choices in the category but Stonebwoy said although the board does not owe people an explanation, it is an opportunity for them to educate the public on the technicalities that influenced some of the nomination choices.
Have your say
More Entertainment Headlines
- Panafest International Expo launched in UK
- Too many music talents hypnotised by Afrobeat popularity - David Bolton bemoans
- Video: My music was getting bigger – Ohemaa Mercy explains why she quit teaching
- Video: Funny Face claims police assault during movie shoot
- Cardi B rape accusations resurfaces
- Regent University student wins 2019 edition of 'Live Inside Win the Ride'
- Spanish hosts dance to highlife songs by Kyekyeku & Ghanalogue band
- R. Kelly in solitary over mortal fear of other inmates
- Ed Sheeran goes to numbers one, three, four on UK chart
- Ghana praised for supporting Vis-à-vis Festival
- English language did trick for ‘Be Lifted’ penetrating Africa - MOG
- Show evidence of new factories – John Dumelo charges gov’t
- Video: I’d love to settle in Ghana after retirement- Tim Godfrey
- Ark band performs live on Joy FM’s Cosmopolitan Mix
- Creative Arts Council, media pay courtesy call on Ghana Embassy in Spain