With five days to the 2019 Vodafone Ghana Music Awards, fans have been tweeting and advocating their favourite acts to bag some awards.
Unlike past years when ‘The Artiste of the Year’ category is the biggest, many people seem to be more hooked on to the ‘Artiste of the Decade’ category, debating who deserves to win.
For Reggae and Dancehall artiste, Stonebwoy, although he is part of the nomination for the VGMA Artiste of the Decade category, he believes fellow artiste Samini should win.
He told George Quaye on Showbiz A-Z on Saturday, he would go for Samini as the winner because Ghana is a witness to his prowess, some of the things he has done and is still doing in the industry.
“He set the tone. To be honest he won the Music of Black Origin (MOBO) when no one knew about it. Samini was the first artiste to work for a telecommunication company in Ghana, he also won an MTV award,” Stonebwoy added.
The ‘Kpo Keke’ hitmaker said it was unfortunate people forget the deeds of heroes who set trends for others to follow and Samini Dagaati is one such artiste.
He explained sometimes the win is not the highlight but of a journey from their humble beginnings to how they have managed to keep going.
Stonebwoy said, “Samini Dagaati has done it and that is something and every person in the category, especially Sarkodie, Efya, Joe Mettle and R2Bees can respect that.”
Acts nominated for the VGMA Artiste of the Decade are Efya, R2Bees, Sarkodie, No Tribe and Nacee, Shatta Wale, Okyeame Kwame, Stonebwoy and Becca.
Many people have criticised the VGMA board for its choices in the category but Stonebwoy said although the board does not owe people an explanation, it is an opportunity for them to educate the public on the technicalities that influenced some of the nomination choices.
Have your say
More Entertainment Headlines
- VGMA brawl: There is silver lining in the fracas – Francis Doku
- VGMA@20 brawl: Stonebwoy, Shatta Wale granted bail
- We need to change narrative – Sarkodie speaks on support for industry
- VGMA@20: Celebrities react to Shatta Wale-Stonebwoy brawl
- Gov't to meet Shatta, Stonebwoy over feud – Tourism Minister
- Charterhouse disappointed after giving Shatta Wale a chance – CEO
- Creative Arts Ministry 'failed' to stop Shatta Wale Stonebwoy brawl - Minister
- VGMA@20: Stonebwoy not emotionally balanced to own gun - Sefa Kayi
- VGMA@20: MUSIGA condemns 'shameful behaviour' of Shata Wale, Stonebwoy
- VGMA@20 clash: Stonebwoy may be biggest loser – Ameyaw Debrah
- Stonebwoy, Shatta Wale have dented dancehall culture- Ambassador
- A nominee breached security protocol – Charterhouse explains VGMA brawl
- 'We got lucky this time' – Lydia Forson on VGMA brawl
- Stonebwoy explains why he pulled a gun on stage
- Shatta Wale, Stonebwoy in police custody over VGMA brawl