The #Endsars protests in Nigeria may have been halted by the strong action taken by the army and police, but many activists are not relenting.
The widespread anger has prompted many prominent cultural icons to take action.
This includes the music star Seun Kuti, whose late father Fela Anikulapo Kuti was a leading voice calling out politicians in Nigeria from the 1970s to the 90s when he died.
Seun has taken up the #EndSars cause and this week announced the revival of his dad’s political party, the Movement of the People, as part of his drive to call for better governance in the country, as well as an end to police brutality.
He told the BBC’s Focus of Africa that the movement will capture the energy of the Nigerian people politically.
He said the coalition will articulate issues politically beyond the #EndSARS protests.
“We have plans on how to engage people. This was just our first meeting with the people. We have other plans because the main agenda of MOP is to erase the elitist way in which politics have been done here where the rich people gather somewhere and expect the people to go to them. The MOP is going to go to the people,” he said.
- Social media reacts to how youth hooted at Akufo-Addo during concert
- Apart from some senior players, no one is guaranteed a place – Andre Ayew on Ghana’s World Cup squad
- NDC orchestrated the heckling of Akufo-Addo at Global Citizen Festival – NPP
- 23,495 Ghanaians test positive for HIV in 6 months
- Bagbin has not resigned from Ghana Bar Association – Dafeamekpor
- Black Stars arrive to rousing welcome in Spain ahead of Nicaragua friendly
- Frontiers Contract contains information we cannot disclose – Ghana Airports Company Ltd
- Ghana’s programme will focus heavily on debt sustainability – IMF
- Parliament approves fees for “access” to information
- ‘Stop the foolhardiness, Akufo-Addo’s booing at Global Citizen Festival wasn’t orchestrated’ – Stan Dogbe tells NPP
- We need consensus building on debt restructuring process – Dr. Atuahene
- Release incarcerated KNUST students – Katanga Hall Alumni Association
- Establish a debt limit in the constitution to control borrowing – Dr. Atuahene
- Election 2024: If literates are failing, try illiterates – Kumchacha to Ghanaians
- 14-year-old pregnant girl, 23 others rescued from being trafficked to Côte d’Ivoire
- Wa killings: 18 arrested so far
- Education Minister congratulates Serwaa Kesse Girls’ SHS for winning 2022 National Business Pitch Competition
- I will choose Mahama over Akufo-Addo – Kumchacha
- Government begins second phase of discussions with IMF
- Halt the activities of Seven Seas salt company – Ketu South residents to government
- Livestream: PM Express discusses Ghana’s impending debt restructuring
- Ghana cannot avoid debt restructuring currently – Cassiel Ato Forson
- Super Clash: Asante Kotoko file complaint over officiating
- KCCR records zero cases of Covid-19 samples in 2 months
- Luv FM Habitat Fair: Republic Bank offers flexible mortgage packages for home ownership