Fidelity Bank Ghana has denied a statement attributed to National Democratic Congress (NDC) MP for Bolgatanga Central, Isaac Adongo, that the bank intends to take over the assets of Consolidated Bank Ghana (CBG).
“We wish to state in no uncertain terms that Hon. Adongo’s statements are not only despicable and irresponsible but false, defamatory and constitute tortious interference with our business and as such actionable under the laws of Ghana,” Fidelity Bank said in a press release issued on Tuesday.
The bank said, in the era of fake news, it is still shocked at the “audacity of the maker of these allegations to propagate such falsehood and keep a straight face!”
Read the full press statement below.
FOR PUBLICATION ON 3RD MARCH 2020
Our attention has been drawn to some false statements made by Hon. Isaac Adongo at a lecture organised by the Coalition for Restoration and broadcasted on multiple platforms.
The false statements state among others that:
1. The NPP government was engaged in a shady move to sell the Consolidated Bank of Ghana (CBG) to Fidelity Bank.
2. Fidelity Bank is being used as the “best architect for fraudulent activities of the government” particularly in a scheme to defraud contractors of billions of cedis.
3. A transaction involving the arrangement of a facility of Ghs3billion was fraught with illegality and was only a ‘gimmick’ to circumvent the law.
4. While the owners of CBG were in court fighting to recover their assets, Fidelity Bank was conniving with the Government of Ghana to take over the same assets.
We wish to state in no uncertain terms that Hon. Adongo’s statements are not only despicable and irresponsible but false, defamatory and constitute tortious interference with our business and as such actionable under the laws of Ghana.
For the avoidance of doubt, the Government of Ghana has never spoken/written to, discussed and/or made an offer to Fidelity Bank on any matter touching and concerning the sale of CBG. The imputation of unethical and criminal conduct regarding contractors and GAT as alleged by Hon. Adongo is a non-sequitur and denied outright.
In the era of fake news, we are still shocked at the audacity of the maker of these allegations to propagate such falsehood and keep a straight face!
We have since written to the offending perpetrator to do the needful by retracting and making a public apology. Failing that we have instructed our lawyers to visit him with the wrath of the law.
FIDELITY BANK GHANA LIMITED
- Social media users react to DSP Azugu’s alleged role in assault on Citi FM journalist
- ASEPA calls for the removal of GJA President, Affail Monney
- Don’t reduce our schools to ideological and religious fighting grounds – Akufo-Addo tells religious leaders
- NSMQ 2021: Mfantsipim destroys Adisadel, University Practice and Assin State College to win Central Regional Championship
- Akufo-Addo and his NPP government are reducing Ghana to a police state – Haruna Iddrisu
- We have not failed humanity by building prison infrastructure – Church of Pentecost
- GPL wrap: Kotoko extend gap at top after Olympics surrender lead
- Court adjourns Assin North MP’s case over hearing of applications
- Francis Xavier-Sosu: Eid-ul-Fitr reflections – Human rights and security implications, the case of Wesley Girls’ and the Methodist Church
- Champions League final moved to Porto and 12,000 Chelsea and Manchester City fans can attend
Top scientists question the need for Covid-19 booster shots
Akufo-Addo visits France, Belgium and South Africa as part of post-Covid engagements
Today’s front pages: Friday, May 14, 2021
NSMQ2021: Perfect ‘salah’ gift as Tamale SHS wins maiden Northern Zonal Championship
Coach Paa Kwasi Fabin names 27-man Black Meteors squad to face Japan
Real Madrid win to keep title dream alive
GPL wrap: Kotoko extend gap at top after Olympics surrender lead
Liverpool boost top four hopes with win at Man Utd
Sancho and Haaland score doubles as Dortmund win German Cup
National Security Ministry to probe alleged assault on Citi FM journalists by security operatives
Government is committed to investing more in the youth – NYA Deputy CEO
NSMQ 2021: Tamale Islamic SHS denied ‘Eid-Trophy’ after Notre Dame SHS exited them at semis of Northern Zonal Championship
Don’t reduce our schools to ideological and religious fighting grounds – Akufo-Addo tells religious leaders
NSMQ 2021: Mfantsipim destroys Adisadel, University Practice and Assin State College to win Central Regional Championship
Full text: Speaker Alban Bagbin’s message on the occasion of Eid-ul-Fitr