Audio By Carbonatix
A Chinese tourist has died in France after contracting the new coronavirus - the first fatality from the disease outside Asia.
The victim was an 80-year-old man from China's Hubei province, according to French Health Minister Agnès Buzyn.
He arrived in France on 16 January and was placed in quarantine in a hospital in Paris on 25 January, she said.
Only three deaths had previously been reported outside mainland China - in Hong Kong, the Philippines and Japan.
However, more than 1,500 people have died from the virus within China, mostly in Hubei where it first emerged.
A further 2,641 people have been newly confirmed as infected, bringing China's total to 66,492.
In late January, France became the first European country to confirm cases of the virus. It has had 11 confirmed cases of the disease, officially called Covid-19. Six people remain in hospital.
The deceased man had been in a critical condition in the Bichat hospital in northern Paris, the health minister said. He died of lung infection due to the coronavirus.
The man's daughter is among those infected, but she is recovering, Ms Buzyn said.
Five of the cases in France are British nationals who caught the virus at a chalet in the ski resort of Contamines-Montjoie.
Outside mainland China, there have been more than 500 cases in 24 countries.
Earlier, the US said it was sending a plane to Japan to evacuate Americans stuck on the Diamond Princess cruise ship, which is being held in quarantine in a Japanese port.
Out of 3,700 people on board, 218 have tested positive for the virus. Australia also said it was considering removing its citizens from the ship.
In other developments:
- Beijing has ordered everyone returning to the city to go into quarantine for 14 days or risk punishment
- Egypt's health ministry on Friday confirmed the first case of the coronavirus in Africa. The ministry described the person as a foreigner but did not disclose their nationality
- Six health workers were confirmed to have died in China. Local authorities have struggled to provide protective equipment such as respiratory masks, goggles and protective suits to hospitals in Hubei
Earlier, the US said it was sending a plane to Japan to evacuate Americans stuck on the Diamond Princess cruise ship, which is being held in quarantine in a Japanese port.
Out of 3,700 people on board, 218 have tested positive for the virus. Australia also said it was considering removing its citizens from the ship.
In other developments:
- Beijing has ordered everyone returning to the city to go into quarantine for 14 days or risk punishment
- Egypt's health ministry on Friday confirmed the first case of the coronavirus in Africa. The ministry described the person as a foreigner but did not disclose their nationality
- Six health workers were confirmed to have died in China. Local authorities have struggled to provide protective equipment such as respiratory masks, goggles and protective suits to hospitals in HubeiDISCLAIMER: The Views, Comments, Opinions, Contributions and Statements made by Readers and Contributors on this platform do not necessarily represent the views or policy of Multimedia Group Limited.
DISCLAIMER: The Views, Comments, Opinions, Contributions and Statements made by Readers and Contributors on this platform do not necessarily represent the views or policy of Multimedia Group Limited.
Latest Stories
-
I support calls for Energy Minister to appear before Parliament – Sagnarigu MP
3 minutes -
Frequent power trips alarming; urgent measures needed to prevent nationwide blackouts – Ben Boakye
7 minutes -
Blackout: Akosombo control station works to be completed next month – Energy Minister insists
10 minutes -
ACEP warns frequent power trips expose weaknesses in Ghana’s transmission system
16 minutes -
Ageing transmission infrastructure needs urgent investment – Agyapa-Mercer
21 minutes -
Ghana must address root cause of 330kV line trips to avert blackouts – ACEP
32 minutes -
Global Mercy Hospital Ship arrives in Tema for 10-month Ghana field service
35 minutes -
Wontumi eligible to pick NPP nomination form, but vetting will determine his fate – Opare-Ansah
37 minutes -
Michael Tetteh Kwetey to contest NDC Greater Accra Regional Chairmanship
2 hours -
Mahama disappointed by US opposition to UN slavery resolution
2 hours -
Chamber of Mines commends government for breakthrough in Adamus Resources dispute
3 hours -
CMC launches 24-hour cocoa operations
3 hours -
Construction work on Winneba-Accra Highway poses challenges for commuters
3 hours -
Audit irregularities surged in 2024 as GACC flags weak financial controls
3 hours -
World Rugby chair Brett Robinson and Rugby Africa president Herbert Mensah to visit Zimbabwe as Sables prepare for Rugby World Cup
3 hours