Five civilians were killed on Sunday in a gun battle between militant Islamists and security forces at a hotel in the Somalia capital, Mogadishu, news agencies report quoting the police spokesperson.
“The operation is over now. Nine people including four attackers died and over 10 civilians were injured,” Sadik Ali is quoted as saying.
The security forces ended the assault at Afrik Hotel, which is popular with government officials, early on Monday.
President Mohamed Farmaajo said among those killed was a former military general:
“I ask God to have mercy on the Somali citizens who lost their lives in this barbaric attack, and I extend my deepest condolences on the death of General Mohamed Nur Galal, a veteran of the Somali army,” he tweeted:
Innaa Lillaahi wa innaa Ilayhi raajicuun. Waxaan Alle u weydiinayaa naxariistiisa Janno muwaadiniintii Soomaaliyeed ee ku naf waayey weerarkan bahalnimo, waxaan si gaar ah uga tacsiyeynayaa geerida Janaraal Maxamed Nuur Galaal oo ka mid ahaa ruug-caddaaga Ciidanka Soomaaliyeed. pic.twitter.com/hagwt8fUUL— Mohamed Farmaajo (@M_Farmaajo) January 31, 2021
Three attackers were shot dead while another detonated a suicide bomb, according to the AFP news agency.
Al-Shabab militant group, which is linked to al-Qaeda, claimed the Sunday attack.
- Korle-Bu doctor poisons colleague’s water with HIV blood
- NSMQ 2021: 3-man Sandema SHTS team without supporters, books place in final U/E qualifiers
- #FixTheCountry: Convenors of protest disappointed in Supreme Court over hearing scheduled for June
- EC must review processes leading to 2020 election results collation – Akoto Ampaw
- National security cloned #FixTheCountry protester’s mobile phone – Baker-Vormawor alleges
- Prince Misizulu named next Zulu king amid family feud
- 20 arrested in Atewa forest aren’t national security operatives – Oppong Nkrumah
- Ghana loses $200m to untapped online forex trading market
- Blunt and Blay: Real reason why the Church won’t allow a Muslim student to fast in a ‘Mission School’
- Akufo-Addo has not lived up to expectation – Kofi Bentil
May 9 stadium disaster: Persons With Disabilities join in 20th anniversary celebration
#FixTheCountry: Injunction obtained by police was in order – Attorney General
Asantehene marks 71st birthday with May 9 remembrance
Some of the taxes imposed on citizens are a nuisance – Kofi Bentil
Pastor Allen Caiquo releases ‘Finally’ ahead of ‘Priest & King’ EP
#FixTheCountry organisers exhibited ‘bad faith’ during National Security meeting – Godfred Dame
Blaq Jerzee recruits Marioo, Eddy Kenzo on ’Sokoma’ track
13 types of guys who stay single and don’t ever find lasting love
Blunt and Blay: Real reason why the Church won’t allow a Muslim student to fast in a ‘Mission School’
I have no regrets participating in ‘OccupyFlagstaffHouse’ protest – Kofi Bentil
Neymar signs new Paris St-Germain contract
National security cloned #FixTheCountry protester’s mobile phone – Baker-Vormawor alleges
Akufo-Addo has not lived up to expectation – Kofi Bentil
Doubts over venue for Champions League final between Chelsea and Man City as Turkey added to red list
Covid-19: GHS Director of Health Promotion advises against #FixTheCountry demonstration