Five civilians were killed on Sunday in a gun battle between militant Islamists and security forces at a hotel in the Somalia capital, Mogadishu, news agencies report quoting the police spokesperson.
“The operation is over now. Nine people including four attackers died and over 10 civilians were injured,” Sadik Ali is quoted as saying.
The security forces ended the assault at Afrik Hotel, which is popular with government officials, early on Monday.
President Mohamed Farmaajo said among those killed was a former military general:
“I ask God to have mercy on the Somali citizens who lost their lives in this barbaric attack, and I extend my deepest condolences on the death of General Mohamed Nur Galal, a veteran of the Somali army,” he tweeted:
Innaa Lillaahi wa innaa Ilayhi raajicuun. Waxaan Alle u weydiinayaa naxariistiisa Janno muwaadiniintii Soomaaliyeed ee ku naf waayey weerarkan bahalnimo, waxaan si gaar ah uga tacsiyeynayaa geerida Janaraal Maxamed Nuur Galaal oo ka mid ahaa ruug-caddaaga Ciidanka Soomaaliyeed. pic.twitter.com/hagwt8fUUL— Mohamed Farmaajo (@M_Farmaajo) January 31, 2021
Three attackers were shot dead while another detonated a suicide bomb, according to the AFP news agency.
Al-Shabab militant group, which is linked to al-Qaeda, claimed the Sunday attack.
- M.anifest joins father to celebrate his grandmother’s 98th birthday
- Supreme Court dismisses case against regulation of plant breeders
- Doctor fired for prescribing ice cream and video games to child with sore throat
- Ama Ata Aidoo’s iconic 1987 interview that shook the world
- I’m sad presidency is at the forefront of doing unconstitutional things – Domelevo on Supreme Court ruling
- SIM card deactivation: Crowds besiege NIA centres for Ghana Card
- Supreme Court ruling comes as a very big birthday present to me – Domelevo
- Archbishop Agyinasare’s comment can trigger security and peace instability – Security analyst
- AngloGold incident: 79 illegal miners out of underground mine
- WAFU B Women’s U20 Cup: Ghana seal final spot with comeback win over Burkina Faso
- 87 illegal miners who invaded AngloGold Ashanti Obuasi Mine rescued
- The goddess that once walked among us; eulogy to the great Ama Ata Aidoo
- Barker-Vormawor refuses to state his plea as he is slapped with fresh Treason charges
- Answering the call: Traditional rulers and climate action
- Bono GES Directorate to establish ‘sanitary bank’ for deprived school girls
- Your inauguration presents an opportunity to reset Nigerian narrative – Mahama tells Tinubu
- Court remands Director of JC Logistics over an alleged false cheque
- Media Personality Sixtus Dong Ullo runs for Law School Presidency
- Gyakye Quayson to contest Assin North seat again in June 27 by-election
- WAFU B Girls’ Cup: I need to work on their finishing – Yusif Basigi on Black Princesses team
- Banking sector faces rising risk to asset quality, capital buffers – Report
- U20 World Cup: Nigeria knock out host nation Argentina, Brazil trounce Tunisia
- Pay 30% of $1.6bn energy debt by June 30 – IPPs to government
- Two villages in North Gonja burnt down in renewed violence between Mamprusi and Gonja
- Land guards open fire on farmers, grade lands at Gomoa Okyereko