Audio By Carbonatix
Kwabena Adu-Boahene, the former Director-General of the National Signals Bureau (NSB), is accused of embezzling state funds and laundering them through real estate investments in Accra.
He's also believed to have acquired some properties abroad.
The Attorney-General and Minister of Justice at a news conference on Monday, March 24, revealed that the arrest of Kwabena Adu-Boahene has to do with his alleged involvement in financial misconduct relating to a $7 million cyber defence system contract.
The contract, valued at $7 million, was intended to bolster Ghana’s capacity to detect, prevent, and respond to cyber threats, data breaches, and digital espionage. However, investigations suggest that funds allocated for the project were diverted for personal use.
Mr Ayine explained that in his role as Director of the NSB, Adu-Boahene signed the contract on 30th January 2020 on behalf of both the government of Ghana and the National Security Ministry.
The agreement was made with an Israeli firm, RLC Holdings Limited, to supply the cyber defence system software. The procurement was seen as a crucial measure to enhance the nation’s digital security infrastructure.
Mr Adu-Boahene, who served as the Deputy Director-General before becoming the substantive Director between 2017 and 2025, is alleged to have misappropriated the funds by using a similar private firm he set up.
The A-G said he created a private business closely resembling the operations of the National Signals Bureau, which he ran alongside his wife.
"The transfers from the National Signals Bureau account brought the total transfers that he made to his private NSB of GHC49 million, by the exchange rate at the time, this amount was exactly Ghana equivalent of $7 million".
It is alleged that Mr Adu-Boahene misappropriated a total of $2,217,815 million, which he then invested in properties in Accra, other parts of the country, and abroad.
Mr Adu Boahene, who was arrested on Thursday, March 20th at the Kotoko International Airport upon his return from abroad by the National Investigations Bureau (NIB) is still in detention.
The Attorney General informed the public about the activities of the defunct anti-corruption agency, Operation Recover All Loots (ORAL), established by the NDC government to identify and recover state assets that had been stolen by individuals.
Latest Stories
-
Ronaldinho seeks 300th goal with comeback aged 46
5 hours -
Your voice, your future – Opare Addo opens National Youth Forum 2026
5 hours -
GRA pushes data-driven tax administration to boost revenue mobilisation
5 hours -
NSMQ 2026: Presby SHS, Bompata crushes Sacred Heart’s hopes of reaching one-eighth stage
5 hours -
Africa Golf Tourism Convention opens in South Africa to unlock opportunities
5 hours -
BOGISS alleged sexual assault: Dr Apaak demands protection for autism victim
5 hours -
GTEC trains tertiary officials on new affiliation quality assurance framework
5 hours -
Luv FM High School Debate: OKESS, OSASS silence K’Wey Gey and KASS in fierce round of 16
5 hours -
Alcaraz to play US Open after four months out
5 hours -
Even if all foreigners leave, South Africa’s problems will remain – Dr Yamson blames state failure
6 hours -
Mahama announces GH¢500m district housing programme; rollout to begin this year
6 hours -
Energy Committee yet to receive July 29 blackout report – Adomako-Mensah
6 hours -
Five in six Ghana health facilities fall short of basic sanitation standard – WHO/UNICEF
6 hours -
Mohammed Fuseini in talks over Troyes move from Union SG
6 hours -
‘Bear with the system’ – Energy Ministry says temporary power control room to be ready by September
7 hours