Audio By Carbonatix
The Ghana Broadcasting Corporation (GBC) has expressed disappointment in the GFA for rejecting its "superior financial" offer for the television broadcast rights of the Ghana Premier League.
Director of Corporate Affairs, Mamle Asare in a statement on Thursday, revealed that GBC made a bid of US$1,100,000 annually which was more than the US$1,050,000 annual offer by the Chinese pay television company, StarTimes to secure the rights for Premier League.
According to GBC, the news that StarTimes had won the rights with the best bid came as a shock and disappointment.
“Apart from GBC’s superior financial offer, we thought that the Premier League and FA Cup content would have been treated like a national treasure and given to the national broadcaster and a consortium of local broadcasters,” the release stated.
The national broadcaster said it had been treated unfairly adding that “The GFA’s decision will gravely impact on Ghanaians’ access to the Ghana Premier League and FA Cup live games on Free-to-Air (FTA) broadcast.
“When Ghana football sunk to its lowest ebb in the aftermath of the ‘Number 12’ exposé, it was GBC that invested huge human and material resources to work with the Normalisation Committee to bring the special competitions to the homes of Ghanaians live.
“GBC did this at the time nobody cared about showing the game on TV because it was unattractive,” it stated.
Read full statement below:


UPDATE: The Ghana FA have since also responded to this statement. Read it in full here
-
Latest Stories
-
Kenyan court rules parts of law criminalising consensual sex between adolescents invalid
28 minutes -
I brag to my colleagues about being a graduate – Davido
37 minutes -
I used to run to Don Jazzy’s room to cry during hard times – Tiwa Savage
47 minutes -
Nigerian music stars, Wizkid, Asake, Tems and Burna Boy nominated for 2026 BET Awards
57 minutes -
Wizkid becomes first African artiste to hit 11 billion Spotify streams
1 hour -
At Cannes, Almodovar says artists have duty to speak out against ‘monsters’ like Trump
1 hour -
As cocoa prices melt down, real chocolate is making a comeback
1 hour -
UK agrees £3.7bn trade deal with six Gulf states
2 hours -
SpaceX aims for 10,000 annual launches within five years, FAA says
2 hours -
Prince-Osei Owusu nominated for MLS All-Star Game after Montreal Player of the Month award
3 hours -
AFCON U-17: Black Starlets beat South Africa 3-1 but await CAF draw of lots to determine fate
4 hours -
TikTok and YouTube ‘not safe enough’ for kids, says Ofcom
4 hours -
Samsung strike on hold – but the fight isn’t over yet. Why?
4 hours -
US charges Cuba’s Raúl Castro with murder over 1996 downing of two planes
4 hours -
A time will come they must step aside – Kwakye Ofosu warns ambitious appointees
5 hours