From 1st July, 2022, the Ghana Card will be the only identification for banking or financial transactions, the Bank has disclosed.
This is in furtherance of its objective of ensuring the safety of the financial system.
In a statement, the Central Bank said this is pursuant to Regulation 7 of the National Identity Register, 2012 (L.I. 2111).
In this regard, the BoG is directing Banks, Specialised Deposit-Taking Institutions, Non-Deposit-Taking Financial Institutions; Payment Service Providers and Dedicated Electronic Money Issuers as well as Forex Bureaus and Credit Reference Bureaus to start using the Ghana for identification from beginning of July, 2022.
“In line with this Notice, Section 30 of the Anti-Money Laundering Act, 2020 (Act 1044) and Regulation 12 of the Anti-Money Laundering Regulations, 2011 (L.I. 1987), all financial institutions shall take steps to update customer records with the Ghana Card.”
Furthermore, “customers of Bank of Ghana regulated financial institutions are therefore advised to update their records with their respective financial institutions with the Ghana Card in line with this Notice.”
The Central Bank said for Known Your Customer purposes, the National Identification Authority verification transaction platform will be integrated into the Bank of Ghana’s financial monitoring platform.
This is to ensure that all financial transactions performed within the ecosystem are linked to one identity and information, and unique codes for the transactions shared with the BoG to facilitate the identification of initiators/beneficiaries for track and trace purposes.
It will include but not limited to transactions b banks; non-bank Financial Institutions and Mobile Money Operators (MMOs).
- Accra floods twice in four days after another downpour
- Photos: Part of Accra-Tema Beach Road caves in after Monday night rains
- Sir John did not declare his assets
- Be circumspect about Sir John’s will; none of us will live to be stones – Former Aide
- ‘Deem Sir John’s alleged land ownership at Achimota Forest, Ramsar Site void’ – Jinapor directs Lands, Forestry Commissions
- Photos: Floods cause severe damage to parts of Accra
- Lands Commission flood: Your land documents are intact – Deputy Lands Minister assures
- 16-year-old girl stabbed to death in a fight over alleged boyfriend
- Man arrested for trying to cut off taxi driver’s genitals
- Ghanaians are oblivious of dangers of terrorism – Dr. Vladimir Antwi-Danso
Memorial lecture to be held in honour of Kojo Bentsi-Enchill Letsa
South Africans in shock over death of ‘Rhythm City’ actor Jamie Bartlett
Patapaa’s marriage to German wife, Liha Miller, reportedly hits rocks
I want to marry urgently — Actress Eucharia Anunobi
Lands Minister, Forestry Commission must appear before Parliament over Achimota Forest controversy – Alhassan Suhuyini
Francis Amuzu reveals why he would play for Belgium ahead of Ghana
OccupyGhana commends Land Minister but demands commission of inquiry into Achimota Forest lands controversy
Landslide scare hits residents around Weija-Kasoa ridge
Special Prosecutor charges failed Juaben MCE nominee with 26 counts of corruption
Lack of law enforcement to blame for poor planning, land use by local assemblies – Legal Practitioner
Mayor of New York to support Ghana’s tourism drive
Actor Jamie Bartlett dies aged 55
Adwoa Safo expected to appear before Privileges Committee on May 27
‘A trustee is not allowed to own the trust property’ – Martin Kpebu on Sir John’s acquisition of parts of Achimota Forest
Let’s deal with illegitimate financial transactions in Africa – Akufo-Addo