Ghanaians on social media have been taken aback by the appointment of Finance Minister, Ken Ofori-Atta as caretaker minister of the Trade and Industry Ministry.
Mr. Ofori-Atta’s appointment comes after the Trade Minister, Alan John Kwadwo Kyerematen on Thursday, January 5, 2023, tendered in his resignation letter to President Nana Akufo-Addo.
The man popularly called ‘Alan Cash’ has long been rumoured to be nursing the ambition to contest the flagbearership slot of the New Patriotic Party (NPP) in the 2024 general election.
But it’s unclear if his resignation is to allow him to focus on his presidential ambition.
However, President Akufo-Addo on Friday, January 6, appointed the Finance Minister, Ken Ofori-Atta as Caretaker Minister for the Trade and Industry Ministry.
“The President has asked the Minister for Finance, Mr Ken Ofori-Atta, to act as caretaker minister at the Ministry of Trade and Industry, until a substantive appointment is made,” portions of the statement signed by the Director of Communications at the Presidency, Eugene Arhin, said.
In view of this, Ghanaians on social media have expressed their displeasure with regards to Ken Ofori-Atta’s appointment.
Most of the comments suggest the Finance Minister has not been able to manage his ministry, causing the current economic problems the country is experiencing.
Ken Ofori Atta and his deputies cant even handle the finance ministry. How much more adding a who important ministry like trade and industry. If a deputy minister cant filled the position of a main minister then what is the essence of having deputy ministers? Herh Addo D 🥺— A Little Patience🧘♂️ (@NYCDreamsz) January 7, 2023
We have the men not knowing ken ofori Atta is the only man in npp. Everything Ghana now belongs to the akuffo addo dynasty . State grabbing and it seems there are no men in Ghana. Akuffo addo is not afraid of anybody in Ghana. Rascal Oldman— Habib Bantus (@Habibnsawam1) January 7, 2023
Family Pa is taken over the country. You said Ken Ofori Atta should resign this your reply from Nana Addo. Nana Addo is a harden criminals he never back off— Abdulai Muniru (@AbdulaiMuniru18) January 7, 2023
Some comments also say that the Trade Minister had deputies who could have taken up the role of Caretaker until the president appoints a permanent person to head the ministry.
Someone explain to me why why we have a deputy trades minister, but Ken Ofori Atta has been appointed caretaker trades minister following Alan’s resignation?— Nana (@qwofyelement) January 7, 2023
Maybe you need to stop and think. So why appoint a deputy in the first place if he is not capable of temporarily taking charge. When Finance minister Ken ofori atta was down with COVID complications for months was a caretaker minister appointed? This your logic doesnt make sense— Omni6 Advertising Agency (@SammyAcquaye) January 7, 2023
Other comments say President Akufo-Addo has made a mockery of the NPP MPs who wanted Ofori-Atta out as Finance Minister.
The President by asking Ken Ofori-Atta to take care of the resignation— William (@Adansiroyal) January 7, 2023
of Allan is an indirect insult to his 85+ MPs who want Ken to go.
There many Akan proverbs to describe the many bad decisions by Nana Addo .
Afie Nyansa application is needed.
1/3— The Villager 💎 (@TheVill60772553) January 7, 2023
The appointment of Ken Ofori-Atta as caretaker Minister for Ministry Trade and Industry is a subtle way President Akufo-Addo @NAkufoAddo is telling NPP MPs who demanded for the removal of Ken Ofori-Atta and backtracked that they are idiots. #Newsfile @Joy997FM
See more reactions below:
The bully has been added another ministry. Ken Ofori-Atta must be doing something no one else can do in this country.— BanBeo (@PrinceBanbeo) January 6, 2023
Ken Ofori Atta is Brother pa. This government is not about Ghana it’s about the family wealth.The citizens seating down and leave everything for NDC is bad. The family pa will steal everything like joke like joke . These are harden criminals who leave their lives in Europe empty— Abdulai Muniru (@AbdulaiMuniru18) January 7, 2023
Enobe Ken ofori Atta we say make them sack am nu? Now he has been given another job . Minister and a caretaker . Herh clap for Ghana 😹— Bossy🎮 💨 (@Bossy___) January 7, 2023
Nana and Ken Ofori atta ve made Ghana n Npp so unattractive..tueh— A. Moda (@Dilexoo) January 7, 2023
Ah Kuffour Npp paa nie https://t.co/jj3p1nSr9I
Someone said Ken Ofori Atta is now Nana Obotantim the VII, ntoaso hene of NPP 🤣🤣😂😂😂— Emperor Romanus (@fosterromanus) January 7, 2023
- Mobile Money transactions in only 2 months of 2023 hit ¢264.1bn
- We would all have sworn to Antoa if my dad was alive – Zanetor Rawlings
- Kamala Harris urges Ghana’s creditors to help meet debt obligation amid IMF talks
- Speculation that NDC imposed its decision on Minority Caucus is untrue – Sammy Gyamfi
- Popular American filmmaker Spike Lee is in Ghana
- T-Bills auction: sales undersubscribed by 23%; interest rates remain stable
- BoG increases policy rate to 29.5%; loans to remain expensive
- We’re committed to helping Ghana resolve current economic crisis – China assures
- Ghana records $752.8m trade surplus in first 2 months of 2023
- I don’t know – Akufo-Addo on presence or otherwise of Al-Qaeda troops in Ghana
- Kamala Harris features Black Sherif, Amaarae on Spotify playlist
- Kwaebibirem United FC to raise funds to support operation of the club
- 9-year-old Fotocopy makes history with two concerts in a day
- Ivy Setordjie: Drinking to a warming globe – Part 1
- World Theater Day: Stakeholders urged to commit more resources to industry
- I did not defy orders not to vote for Akufo-Addo’s ministerial nominees – Akatsi North MP
- I was sexually harassed on a bus – Ernest Opoku reveals
- Ghanaians are not go-getters compared to Nigerians – Oscar Bimpong
- Reports that banks are facing insolvency risk over DDE malicious – Ghana Association of Banks
- Re: Banks facing insolvency risks on debt exchange programme
- AFCON 2023Q: Osman Bukari salvages point for Black Stars against Angola
- Substantial elements of Anti-LGBTQ bill have been modified – Akufo-Addo
- Free SHS: Holistic approach to teaching and learning needed to sustain quality
- US commits $100m to help combat terrorism in coastal West Africa
- Ghana’s IMF programme: Paris Club, China, other creditors agree to form OCC