A political risk analyst is not surprised by the recent downgraded of Ghana’s credit worthiness.
Dr Theo Acheampong insists that his assessment of the citizenry point to an increasing level of hardship among the populace.
He made these comments on JoyNews’ Newsfile on Saturday, August 13.
This week, Ghana’s rating was downgraded by Fitch from B- to CCC, putting the country’s creditworthiness into junk status.
This update follows Standard and Poor’s (S&P) downgrade of Ghana’s foreign and local credit ratings from B-B’ to CCC+C with a negative economic outlook.
These come amid government’s call on the International Monetary Fund (IMF) for an economic bailout.
Speaking on JoyNews, Dr Theo Acheampong indicated that the past few years have seen the hardship felt strongly in the pockets of the populace.
Many including petty traders in the country are feeling the pinch, which Dr Acheampong says, calls for pragmatic measures.
Meanwhile, businesses that require foreign investments and financing are projected to be one of the entities at the receiving end of the economic downgrade.
This is according to the President of the Association of Ghana Industries (AGI).
Dr Humphrey Ayim-Darke, speaking on the same show, said bulk importers of goods and the private sector will be largely hit by the latest rating which put the country’s creditworthiness into junk status.
- Nigerian singer Teni gifts SHS teacher a car
- Brother stands in as groom skips wedding to train
- Ghana’s debt stock up ¢9bn to ¢402.4bn in July 2022 – BoG
- Akufo-Addo’s fight against illegal mining is a complete ‘419’ – Sammy Gyamfi
- Daniel Afriyie Barnieh to run down Hearts contract as he rejects new deal
- Parliament warns Herald Editor to cease exposés on controversial GNPC/Genser Energy contract
- British officials release date for King Charles III’s coronation
- Black Sherif’s ‘Soja’ debuts on Billboard’s US Afrobeats Chart
- FDA concurs with WHO’s caution against four substandard paediatric medicines found in The Gambia
- Increase price of bag of cocoa to ¢1,500 or we smuggle it – Farmers
- ‘Galamsey’ got worse under Mahama – NPP tells NDC
- ‘I have given up on dating; guys do not take me seriously’ – Comedienne Jacinta
- Kuami Eugene grabs 2022 BMI London award
- Former Arsenal star Emmanuel Petit calls for Thomas Partey backup in January
- Bawumia has been a disaster as head of economic management team – Felix Kwakye Ofosu
- People like our union – Shatta Wale on why he requested to collaborate with Michy
- Qatar 2022: Ghana vs Uruguay not a ‘revenge’ game – Andre Ayew
- Malta Guinness WPL: Ridge City take on Essiam Socrates; Pearlpia face Prisons Ladies on Day 1
- I think Black Sherif is Bob Marley reincarnate – Sonnie Badu
- Prudential Bank leads conversation on Pan-African Payment and Settlement System
- Midweek performance wrap of Ghanaian players in Europe
- Exhibit customer-centric services in your daily operations – British Council to organisations
- Government consciously shielding main culprit in Bulgarian Embassy demolition – Ablakwa
- ‘I’m fed up’ – aspiring NDC chairman backs calls to oust incumbent Ofosu Ampofo, Asiedu Nketia
- One dead in Tetegu floods