Audio By Carbonatix
The Ghana Health Service (GHS) and the Ghana Education Service Health (GES) have instituted key measures to determine the extent of the outbreak of the novel Coronavirus disease (Covid-19) in the Senior High Schools.
This follows a report of Covid-19 cases in some Senior High Schools on July 6, with the Accra Girls Senior High School (AGISS) recording the most cases from the first report to date.
As at Monday, July 13, a total of 314 students and staff from the AGISS had been tested, out of which 55 were confirmed positive, an official statement has said.
"A few other schools have reported sporadic cases which have not experienced a surge," it said.
The statement was jointly signed by the Director-General of the Ghana Education Service, Professor Kwasi Opoku-Amankwa, and Dr. Patrick Kuma-Aboagye, the Director-General of the Ghana Health Service.
The GES and the GHS, it said, had been implementing containment measures such as the identification and segregation of contact from other students; sample collection and laboratory testing of all contacts identified and suspected cases, and transferring of all confirmed cases to designated national treatment and isolation centres for management.
Other measures are the restriction of the number of students that attend dining at a particular time; enforcement of social distancing protocols; and enhanced hand hygiene practices and the proper use of the facemask.
The Ministries, according to the statement, had also ensured that the schools were disinfected entirely, adequate Personal Protective Equipment (PPEs) were provided to health staff stationed in the school, and education on Covid-19 prevention and control intensified.
It also said counseling and psychological support was being provided to the students.
Additionally, the schools have designated quarantine and isolation centres, while the parents and guardians of affected the students were duly contacted and staff of the schools reassured.
“Ghana Education Service working with Ghana Health Service wishes to inform parents, guardians, and the general public that efforts are being made to ensure the safety of our staff and students,” the statement said.
Latest Stories
-
BoG urges banks to list on GSE to deepen Capital Markets, strengthen governance
11 minutes -
Photos: President Mahama visits Burkina Faso terror attack survivors at 37 Military Hospital
13 minutes -
Sam Jonah’s open letter to the Heads of State of the African Union
20 minutes -
Motor rider remanded in custody for killing illegal miner
20 minutes -
Don’t relax rules for credit discipline – Dr. Asiama warns banks
28 minutes -
Blue Water guards in Adaklu: Governance or political optics?
36 minutes -
Vice President commends Ashanti Region’s progress on security, infrastructure, and sanitation
39 minutes -
Photos from Local Content Summit in Takoradi
40 minutes -
Health Ministry commends swift response to baby theft incident at Mamprobi Polyclinic
41 minutes -
President Mahama visits survivors of the Burkina Faso terrorist attacks on admission at 37 Military hospital
42 minutes -
Mpraeso MP Davis Ansah Opoku commends ACEPA’s Political Inclusion and Consensus Building Project
45 minutes -
Suspect in baby theft was desperate for a child – Gender Minister reveals
50 minutes -
Allied Health Professions Council cautions GFA on the practice licence of Black Stars’ physiotherapist Carlos Lozano Romero
57 minutes -
PBC announces reopening of all buying centres; ready to clear excess cocoa beans
58 minutes -
GMTF Cardiothoracic Centre project at KATH shows early progress after goundbreaking
58 minutes
