Government has urged political parties to support measures instituted to fight the new coronavirus in the country.
The call was made by the Information Minister, Kojo Oppong Nkrumah, at a sensitisation workshop for political parties in Accra, on Thursday, March 26, 2020.
The meeting was attended by representatives from the governing New Patriotic Party (NPP), the opposition National Democratic Congress (NDC), Convention People’s Party (CPP), National Democratic Party (NDP) and the Liberal Party of Ghana (LPG).
Mr. Oppong Nkrumah said the engagement was important in line with the key pillars of global pandemics which includes risk communications and social mobilisation.
“One of the groups that requires serious engagement is the political parties. It is because, political parties among other things, have very large following…So at a time like this when you are trying to get as many people as possible mobilised to follow a particular path as part of the preventive measures, you cannot leave out political parties.
“You literally on a daily basis are part of the national communication exercise and are putting out views and facts and alternative facts, so it is the reason why you have to be engaged on the dos and don’ts and also take feedback from you,” he said.
The Minister said the meeting was also to give the Ghana Health Service a platform to engage the political parties on the virus and discuss how “we can rally the entire national support behind all that is being done to win the fight and not politicise the matter.”
The Deputy Minister for Health, Alexander Abban, who also addressed the gathering stressed the need for political parties to unite in fighting the pandemic and not build political capital on the matter.
“When we leave this engagement, we are leaving here as Ghanaians ready to fight this pandemic and not political parties. We need ideas that must not shape partisanship,” he added.
The meeting with the political parties forms part of the government’s broader consultation and training to equip stakeholders with the appropriate information on the outbreak of the coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic in the country.
- Disregard statement declaring Friday, Sept 30 as a holiday – Oyibi Divisional Council
- Danadams Pharmaceuticals and CEO in court over alleged fraud and forgery
- GFA suspends 2022/23 Ghana Premier League over court injunction
- Man arrested for threatening to release nude videos of late brother’s wife
- ‘I’m extremely regretful’ – KiDi apologises for ‘inappropriate and unkind’ old tweets
- T Bills, short-term securities will not be affected by Ghana’s debt restructuring – US-based Associate Professor
- Land acquisition: Here is what you missed on Joy FM’s Super Morning Show
- Pastor jailed for life after planning coup and black genocide
- We will still be a prime supplier of Mercedes-Benz services in Ghana – Silver Star
- Every single day Akufo-Addo remains President, the country drifts into peril – Dr Amoako Baah
- Trevor Noah is leaving ‘The Daily Show’
- Banking sector crisis was not systemic – Alhassan Andani
- Banking Sector Clean-up: We should have allowed institutional disciplines to work – Alhassan Andani
- Banking sector crisis: State institutions must raise red flags at the right time – Alhassan Andani
- GRASAG launches Graduate Research Trust Fund to support scientific and policy-oriented research for national development
- British Airways flight A380 makes technical stop at KIA
- Ghana, Korea $8 million rice project kicks off in Assin North
- SIM re-registration: National Security has warned Akufo-Addo against blockage – Deputy Minority Chief Whip
- We are engaging ECG to fix anomaly with electricity purchase – PURC
- Chinese employer allegedly slashes throat of Ghanaian employee
- SIM re-registration: “Eat your humble pie” – Sam George tells Ursula Owusu
- NIA called, begged 9 Ghanaians to come for their Ghana Cards after filing complaint in court – Sam George
- Livestream: PM Express discusses the survival of banks in economic crisis
- Mfantsipim Old Boys Association holds annual engagement series
- betPawa Premier League: Seydou Zerbo getting frustrated with Kotoko strikers