Audio By Carbonatix
The government has assured the management of Anglogold Ashanti, Obuasi Mine of providing the needed protection for its concessions by warding off all illegal activities that threatens their operations.
Mr Samuel Abu Jinapor, the Minister of Lands and Natural Resources who gave the assurance, said the mining laws would be enforced, adding that, “persons are not allowed under any circumstances to invade or attack AngloGold’s concession.
Addressing the media during a working visit to the Anglogold Ashanti in Obuasi, Mr Jinapor said lack of employment could never be a justification for illegal invasion of Anglogold’s concessions.
“If you do as these illegal miners have done, you face the full rigours of the law. You will be arrested, prosecuted and the law will take its course,” he warned.
The Minister’s visit followed an unfortunate incident last week when some illegal miners invaded the concession of the Anglogold Ashanti, Obuasi Mine.
Mr Jinapor was in Obuasi to meet Municipal and District Security Councils of Obuasi and Obuasi-East, Traditional Leaders, and the leadership of Anglogold Ashanti as part of efforts to find lasting solution to the perennial problem.
According to the Minister, the Mine was of great importance to the national economy, which was why it was put under care and maintenance in 2016 because of such issues.
He said the government was working closely with Anglogold Ashanti and other stakeholders to find alternative livelihood support and employment for people through community mining.
The Minister expressed satisfaction about the outcome of the visit and said the Ministry would follow up and find sustainable and workable solutions to the problem and avoid the reoccurrence of the mishap.
Mr Eric Asubonteng, Managing Director, Anglogold Ashanti, Obuasi Mine, confirmed a total of 96 unauthorised persons had so far been arrested and handed over to the police following the incident.
Latest Stories
-
Panic in Sunyani: Chiefs to perform rituals after mystery deaths of two successive headteachers
52 minutes -
The party has lost ground – Paul Afoko breaks long silence to launch NPP comeback
1 hour -
“It is worrying” – Prof. Akosa sounds alarm over failing medical ethics
2 hours -
World Cup reality check: Mexico beat fringe Black Stars 2-0 in Puebla friendly
2 hours -
Black Stars lose 2-0 to Mexico in pre-World Cup friendly in Puebla
3 hours -
Free speech: MFWA slams ‘weaponisation’ of state laws
3 hours -
Senegal president sacks PM Sonko, dissolves government after months of friction
4 hours -
NITA defends ICT fees, rejects claims of ‘digital coup’
4 hours -
UN releases $60m from central fund to tackle lethal Ebola outbreak
4 hours -
“Put people first” – Vice-President tells global financial giants at ACI Congress
6 hours -
Vice-President commissions 100 new Metro Mass buses
7 hours -
“You do not need my permission” – Bagbin clears misconception over arresting MPs
7 hours -
Ice baths, almond milk, meditation and a ‘house like a hospital’: The secrets of Salah’s success
7 hours -
Lupita Nyong’o rejects criticism of Helen of Troy role
8 hours -
This Saturday on Prime Insight: GN Savings and Loans licence restoration and the Abronye bail debate
8 hours