The Kumbugu MP has called on the Privileges Committee of Parliament to summon and investigate his Awutu Senya East colleague for firing a gun at a voters’ registration centre.
Ras Mubarak said Hawa Koomson’s act is as an embarrassment to and a contempt of the House, therefore, she must be sanctioned.
“She’s put parliament to great ridicule looking at the reaction that has come from the public but rightly so.
“That’s because we have seen in Hawa Koomson, a Minister who is thuggish; we have seen in her a Minister who has zero respect for her constituents and for me, Parliament as an institution, will clearly in view of what has happened, invite her to the privileges committee,” he said.
The Awutu Senya East MP on Monday admitted to firing gunshots at a voter’s registration centre in the Constituency.
The Special Development Initiatives Minister told Adom News that she did it to protect herself at an instance when she felt her safety was threatened.
‘I’m a Member of Parliament, I need to protect myself. It was at dawn, my police escort had not started work yet. So that is a mechanism I have adopted in his absence,’ she said.
Despite this justification, the act has received massive condemnation from the public domain, with many calling for her arrest and prosecution.
Amid the growing calls for the prosecution, the Kumbugu MP Ras Mubarak believes that Parliament must also act on the matter.
“What she has done embarrasses parliament and that is contemptuous to parliament and our laws are clear on issues of contempt of Parliament,” he said.
Meanwhile, police say four persons who have been arrested in connection with the crime have been granted bail.
They added that Madam Koomson’s statement has been taken.
- One feared dead, several others injured after accident at Legon underpass
- Citi FM journalist, Caleb Kudah allegedly picked up by National Security operatives
- Leadership crisis at Ghana Rugby: Chairman Herbert Mensah suspended indefinitely, set to be removed from office on June 8
- Fire guts new Kejetia Market
- Ghana drops to 95th in 2021 World Happiness ranking
- Chinua Achebe’s ‘Things Fall Apart’, ‘No Longer at Ease’ and ‘Arrow of God’ are being adapted for television
- Cape Coast airport to be completed before end of second term – Transport Minister assures
- Our scholars in Cuba are broke because they insist on table-top payment – GNPC Foundation
- Wesley Girls: Aside ban on fasting Muslims aren’t allowed to observe Salat – Old student
- Social media users list Top 5 Ghanaian players
Nursing aide gets 7 life terms for killing 7 elderly VA patients with insulin
Ghana to host African Swimming and Open Water championships
Chief breaks ground for multipurpose Nkawkaw Palace
Double whammy for Ghana in Old Mutual Amazing Voices
RTI Law is to empower citizens and to fight corruption – RTI Coalition
Mental disorder after childbirth is real – Victim recounts
Transgender Cameroonians jailed for 5 years
Dr Prince Hamid Armah: Exploring Akufo-Addo’s commitment to education; Policy, spending, and outcomes
Politicisation of security agencies cause of insecurity in the country- Sam George
Museveni takes oath for 6th term
Ghana has not done enough to get girls out of the streets – Development consultant
China’s population grows to 1.41 billion people
Uganda deploys troops ahead of Museveni inauguration
Banks cannot be blamed for not accepting new Voter ID cards – Association of Bankers
9-year-old boy dies after being ‘struck by lightning’ on football field