The Kumbugu MP has called on the Privileges Committee of Parliament to summon and investigate his Awutu Senya East colleague for firing a gun at a voters’ registration centre.
Ras Mubarak said Hawa Koomson’s act is as an embarrassment to and a contempt of the House, therefore, she must be sanctioned.
“She’s put parliament to great ridicule looking at the reaction that has come from the public but rightly so.
“That’s because we have seen in Hawa Koomson, a Minister who is thuggish; we have seen in her a Minister who has zero respect for her constituents and for me, Parliament as an institution, will clearly in view of what has happened, invite her to the privileges committee,” he said.
The Awutu Senya East MP on Monday admitted to firing gunshots at a voter’s registration centre in the Constituency.
The Special Development Initiatives Minister told Adom News that she did it to protect herself at an instance when she felt her safety was threatened.
‘I’m a Member of Parliament, I need to protect myself. It was at dawn, my police escort had not started work yet. So that is a mechanism I have adopted in his absence,’ she said.
Despite this justification, the act has received massive condemnation from the public domain, with many calling for her arrest and prosecution.
Amid the growing calls for the prosecution, the Kumbugu MP Ras Mubarak believes that Parliament must also act on the matter.
“What she has done embarrasses parliament and that is contemptuous to parliament and our laws are clear on issues of contempt of Parliament,” he said.
Meanwhile, police say four persons who have been arrested in connection with the crime have been granted bail.
They added that Madam Koomson’s statement has been taken.
- New York Police find drugs in trapdoor at fentanyl nursery
- Today’s front pages: Friday, September 22, 2023
- D-Black shows chats with Sefa on TV to prove ‘no intimate’ relationship
- Ghana Gas Company commences hospital construction at UENR
- ‘We kept doing what Moyes taught us’ – Mohammed Kudus explains West Ham’s comeback win
- Every eligible voter will be captured – EC Chair assures
- NPP is best party to develop Ghana – COP Alex Mensah
- #OccupyJulorbiHouse: Unleashing terror squad on peaceful protesters shameful, unacceptable – Minority to police
- Kwabena Owusu scores for Ferencvaros in win over Cukaricki
- Bernard Tekpetey provides two assists as Ludogorets thump Spartak Trnava
- Baba Rahman provides assist as PAOK beat HJK in five-goal thriller
- Mohammed Kudus scores to inspire West Ham to comeback win over Backa Topola
- #OccupyJulorBiHouse: Derogatory captioning of Presidency by organisers unacceptable – Richard Ahiagbah
- 45 Ghanaian start-ups under AfriConEU project exposed to African market opportunities
- Official statement announcing Dr Sam Ankrah’s candidacy for President