Senegal forward, Sadio Mane says head coach, Aliou Cisse deserves to be proud after leading the team to their first Africa Cup of Nations title.
The Teranga Lions beat Egypt 4-2 on penalties in the final of the continental showpiece on Sunday night to deny the Pharaohs an eighth title on the continent while also winning the first in their history.
Prior to 2021 final, Senegal had been to two AFCON finals (2002 and 2019) with Cisse involved on both occasions as a player and as a head coach.
However, he was third time lucky in Cameroon as Mane scored the winning penalty of the game.
Speaking after their triumph, the Liverpool forward said, “For me, I want to dedicate this trophy to Aliou Cisse, I think he deserves it. He is something else.”
Mane has been on the receiving end of silverware since joining the Merseyside club. The forward has won the UEFA Champions League, the English Premier League, Club World Cup and Super Cup.
However, he says the AFCON trophy stands tall for him compared to his other accolades, describing it as the ‘best of his life.
“It’s not only the most important trophy, but it’s also the most important day of my life, the best day of my life,” Mane said.
“And of course, so far the best trophy of my life and I can’t express my feeling, I am very happy.”
The Senegal No.10 was also adjudged as the Best Player of the Tournament at the end of the competition, scoring three goals and assisting two.
- Jackie Appiah trends on Twitter as video of posh Trassaco mansion pops up
- Drama as Nigerian lawyer dresses as native doctor to Supreme Court
- Social media users troll Shatta Wale over Jackie Appiah’s mansion
- Scores injured in accident on Accra-Kumasi highway
- National Cathedral: Lies are being told to cause disaffection – John Kumah
- Finance Minister accounted for less than 50% of Covid-19 expenditure – Dr. Asiedu
- 18 dead in mass break-in to Spanish enclave
- Tonto Dikeh nominated as running mate to Rivers State governorship candidate
- Empress Gifty’s grandmother passes on
- Playback: Newsfile discusses accountability surrounding National Cathedral, Covid-19 expenditure
Fire guts 10-bedroom house at Dwase-Praso
2022 MTN FA Cup final: the five key players to watch
Take steps to prevent torture during operations – CHRAJ to Security Agencies
Tonto Dikeh nominated as running mate to Rivers State governorship candidate
Make youth development in peace a priority – UN Peace Ambassador to African leaders
Social media users troll Shatta Wale over Jackie Appiah’s mansion
Scores injured in accident on Accra-Kumasi highway
National Cathedral: Board of Trustees must also be blamed for infractions – Antwi-Bosiako
Over 1000 Nigeriens repatriated – Gender Ministry
Finance Minister accounted for less than 50% of Covid-19 expenditure – Dr. Asiedu
All issues raised about National Cathedral will be addressed – Dr John Kumah
National Cathedral: Lies are being told to cause disaffection – John Kumah
Suspects held over Nigeria church massacre
Uncle Ebo’s ‘I slept with your wife’ shows today at the National Theatre
National Cathedral: Let us explore $50m cost option – Martin Kpebu