Hiplife musician Okyeame Kwame has said he expected to receive more than one award with his song ‘Yeeko’ at the recent Vodafone Ghana Music Awards (VGMA).
According to him, “the song was such a big one” and should have won more awards considering the massive streams and recognition it attracted.
The song which features Kuami Eugene received three nominations, including ‘Collaboration of the Year’, ‘Vodafone Most Popular Song’ and ‘Hiplife Song of the Year’ – the only category it won.
“When Kuami and I were recording the song, award wasn’t on our minds. This was during the height of the Covid-19 pandemic, and we wanted to do a song to calm nerves. The very first week we released the song, it became a hit.
“We were not looking for an award [but] when the song became a hit and all those streams, and it was trending for about five months, then we realised that it will collect some awards,” he said in an interview on Prime Morning, Monday.
“I am grateful for the one I have. I can’t wait to have it and add it to my collection.”
Okyeame Kwame expressed gratitude to his fans, the media and people who contributed in diverse ways to keep him relevant in the industry.
He added that the greatest blessing he ever received was his parents, saying they allowed him to express himself and find his voice.
“It was amazing. It’s as if every year, I win an award or some awards. I was the only artiste in that award scheme that won the first VGMA, and also, the last one they just did, I won one. VGMA has five different plaques – I have one of each of the five.
“So, to tell you the truth, I am honoured, and I think I am the only artiste in Ghana who has received one of all the five different changes and evolutions of the plaque.
“For me, I think God has blessed the people and me in Ghana especially; they have made it possible that I can eat from music until I die, and for that, I am forever grateful,” he stated.
- Is IMANI now dictating to us how to run a country? – Gabby Otchere-Darko fumes
- SOEs who fail to present audited financial accounts to be sanctioned – Bawumia
- Ghanaians will soon praise us for going to IMF – Dr Afriyie Akoto
- As it happened: Kotoko dominates as Djiku wins Player of the Year award at Ghana Football Awards
- Ghana will be ungovernable if any IMF conditionality freezes wage increment – Prof Gyampo
- Photos: Akufo-Addo, Mahama and others mourn wife of late General Akuffo, Emily Akuffo
- Some Hajj pilgrims demand refund after being left stranded for hours
- 2022 Ghana Football Awards: Sadio Mane wins Best African International
- Food is expensive but there can never be food shortage – Agric Minister
- Samson’s Take: This will collapse a government in a serious country II
IMF bailout: Finance Minister must take a step back – Political analyst
Ghanaians mob IMF on Facebook to campaign against Akufo-Addo’s bailout request
AGI CEO worried over scarcity of market-ready graduates
Livestream: The Law discusses justice delivery speediness
Throw out Deloitte’s factually deficient claims – Dram Oil to High Court
‘Mahama stuck by Seth Terkper’ – Gabby Otchere-Darko defends Ofori-Atta amid resignation calls
2022 Ghana Football Awards: Full list of winners
Some have made it their life mission to frustrate me – Barker-Vormawor
Some Hajj pilgrims demand refund after being left stranded for hours
IMF bailout will take pressure off Akufo-Addo to focus on positive things – Gabby Otchere-Darko
Photos: Akufo-Addo, Mahama and others mourn wife of late General Akuffo, Emily Akuffo
Amanda Ofori is out with a new single titled ‘Abba’
Adele: Emotion and simplicity are enough at comeback Hyde Park gig
Ghana will be ungovernable if any IMF conditionality freezes wage increment – Prof Gyampo
Samson’s Take: This will collapse a government in a serious country II