Audio By Carbonatix
Private legal practitioner Martin Kpebu has maintained that he will not submit evidence on his earlier allegations against Special Prosecutor Kissi Agyebeng to officers of the Office of the Special Prosecutor (OSP), insisting that he can only present such material to an independent board.
Speaking on Newsfile on Saturday, December 6, Mr Kpebu said it was his refusal to hand over the evidence to subordinates of the Special Prosecutor that triggered his invitation to the OSP and the subsequent encounter that he describes as abusive.
Mr Kpebu explained that his initial public comments—criticising the leadership style and actions of the Special Prosecutor—prompted the OSP to summon him for questioning.
He noted that although he honoured the invitation, matters escalated when he stood by his decision not to submit evidence to officers who report directly to the Special Prosecutor.
“I had already made allegations against the Special Prosecutor himself, so how could I turn around and hand over the evidence to people who work under him?” he asked.
According to him, this stance led to tensions at the OSP’s premises, culminating in what he describes as mistreatment by some of the Bureau’s personnel and his eventual arrest.
Mr Kpebu said the experience left him deeply troubled, arguing that the manner in which he was handled underscored his concerns about impartiality within the institution.
“The arrest and the way I was treated only proved my point. There was clear intimidation,” he claimed.
The lawyer stressed that he cannot, in good conscience, submit his allegations to any officer within the OSP hierarchy so long as the Special Prosecutor retains oversight.
He said doing so would compromise the integrity of the process and expose him to the very conflicts of interest he has raised publicly.
“How do I submit evidence about the Special Prosecutor to his own juniors? It simply cannot happen. There must be a neutral body,” he asserted.
Mr Kpebu was therefore emphatic that he will present his evidence only to an independent board or impartial panel with no ties to the OSP leadership.
He emphasised that transparency and fairness are essential, especially in matters involving the conduct of a high-ranking public officer. “I am ready to submit everything, but only to a properly constituted board. That is the only way to ensure justice and protect the rights of citizens,” he stated.
Latest Stories
-
Government failed Ghanaians in South Africa — Minority slams evacuation delay
10 minutes -
Heavy downpour leaves Kaneshie, other parts of Accra flooded
13 minutes -
Mahama’s STEM push aims to build curious, creative students – Haruna Iddrisu
27 minutes -
Swimming stakeholders call for legitimate governance and constitutional elections in Ghana Swimming
39 minutes -
Akatsi Police seize suspected cannabis consignment, driver escapes
41 minutes -
EU investment in Ghana reaches $16bn – GIPC’s Boss
1 hour -
GPSCP II and TCDA partner to boost regulation and investment in tree crops sector
1 hour -
Ghana, Ethiopia business ties ripe for expansion – GIPC
2 hours -
Ghana-Russia Center signs landmark cooperation agreements at KazanForum 2026
2 hours -
Sankofa Gold Mine, Guangzhou Hozdo partnership signals revival push as Ghana’s Western mining sector heats up
2 hours -
From Snapchat Stories to Snapchat Headquarters: Chef Abbys is taking Ghana to the world one plate at a time
2 hours -
Photos: Vice President commissions 100 new Metro Mass Transit buses
2 hours -
GNFS rescues seven trapped in crash at Peki-Tsiame
2 hours -
GNFS rescues trapped driver after cargo truck overturns at Fante New Town
2 hours -
Photos from JoyNews National Dialogue on youth and climate change
3 hours