Audio By Carbonatix
The Ranking Member of Parliament’s Finance Committee says he does not believe the government can secure a programme with the International Monetary Fund (IMF) before the 2023 budget.
Cassiel Ato Forson said that is very unlikely.
According to him, that will mean that the government will accept any offer that will be put on the table for them.
A situation he insisted will not be in the best interest of Ghanaians.
“I doubt in the next six weeks we are going to have a programme. That will be a magic of a lifetime.
It will mean we are just going to be yes men and accept everything they say,” said Mr Forson on Citi FM on Wednesday, September 28.
Government has said it will fast-track negotiations with the IMF to ensure key aspects of the programme are reflected in the 2023 budget statement.
Finance Minister, Ken Ofori-Atta made this known at a press briefing on Wednesday, September 28.
He said negotiations with the Bretton Woods Institution have been smooth so far.
He stated that the government is committed to ensuring that a comprehensive package is negotiated with the Fund.
“In line with the President’s dialogue with the IMF Managing Director, Kristalina Georgieva, negotiations will be fast-tracked to ensure that key aspects of the programme are reflected in the 2023 Annual Budget Statement in November 2022,” he said.
However, Dr. Forson wants government to slow on this move.
Latest Stories
-
Tennessee execution called off after failed lethal injection
18 minutes -
Jailed Vietnamese tycoon’s Birkin bags sell for more than $550K
29 minutes -
Elon Musk’s SpaceX postpones Starship launch
38 minutes -
Alberta to hold referendum on whether to remain in Canada
48 minutes -
Rubio says Cuba is threat to US as Havana accuses him of ‘lies’
57 minutes -
Village in Juaben celebrates Villa win with parade
4 hours -
Three police officers to accompany 10,000 England fans at World Cup
4 hours -
Haaland and Odegaard head Norway World Cup squad
4 hours -
Up to 350 jobs under threat at Meta in Ireland
5 hours -
Arteta told of title win by crying son – while having barbecue
5 hours -
Meta settles social media addiction case with US school district
5 hours -
Southampton’s Eckert authorised spying missions
5 hours -
Foden and Palmer to miss out on World Cup squad
5 hours -
Hamilton says he has no plans to retire from F1
5 hours -
Nvidia’s latest record earnings fail to impress investors
5 hours