The Central Regional Police Command says it is investigating an incident that led to the firing of arms by Member of Parliament for the Awutu Senya East Constituency, Hawa Koomson.
According to the police, the MP has honoured their invitation and given her statement on the matter.
“When we went to the scene, it was the four people we arrested that were met but later intelligence led us to identify that she (Hawa Koomson) is someone who can also assist with investigations so we invited her over”, the Regional Public Relations Officer, DSP Irene Oppong told JoyNews’ Kojo Nyarko.
Mavis Hawa Koomson on Monday admitted to firing gunshots at a voters’ registration centre at Kasoa.
The Special Development Initiatives Minister told Adom News that she only fired the gunshots when her life was threatened by some thugs alleged to be affiliated to the opposition NDC.
Despite this justification, the act has received massive condemnation from the public, with many calling for her resignation and subsequent prosecution.
But police in the area say an investigation has already commenced into the issues.
“What we are investigating now is from the media space and other sources. We have a confession statement from the MP that she also fired some warning shots, that one is clear.
“But the police also picked up a pistol at the scene of the crime and when it happens that way, we need to pick all arms that were used at the scene to a forensic expert for an expert opinion. They will then be able to tell us which gun was fired,” DSP Irene Oppong said.
She also called for calm among the constituents and Ghanaians as she indicated that the situation is under control.
“We want the public to be at peace. We want to assure them that the security situation at Kasoa is under control. More police personnel have also been sent to ensure peace and order” she said.
- Former Minister for Monitoring and Evaluation, Dr Akoto Osei dies aged 64
- Akufo-Addo swears in 3 new members of Electoral Commission
- AFCON 2023Q: Chris Hughton opens Black Stars camp with 8 players
- ECG disconnects power to Ho Airport, GRA over debt
- ECG recovers GH¢18.5m out of GH¢46.9m from 3 state institutions
- Fella Makafui reacts after Twitter user accuses her of ‘sleeping’ with Medikal’s ex-manager
- ‘Western Togoland’: 5 secessionists handed 5 years in jail each
- Akufo-Addo’s promises have turned out to be scam – Asiedu Nketia
- Ludacris hangs out with Sarkodie in Ghana, fans speculate new music
- Ghana v Angola: Kingsley Schindler replaces injured Tariq Lamptey
- Women 35 years and above are at higher risk of giving birth to babies with Down syndrome – Expert
- GNFS expresses reservation over reopening of Kejetia Market
- Rapper Edem hints at contesting NDC parliamentary primaries
- Slut Boy Billy: a rap prodigy breaking norms, making strides
- Why the Tema Motorway is a death trap
- Peter Obi kicks off legal challenge to Nigeria election result
- Dr Akoto Osei’s death a shock to the whole nation – Speaker
- Gwyneth Paltrow expected to appear in court over ski crash case
- John Mahama files nomination to contest NDC flagbearer race
- Overborrowing is one of Akufo-Addo’s biggest mistakes – Prof Adei
- Davido is back with new album ‘Timeless’, set for March 31
- GALLERY: Best pictures from Black Stars training at Accra Sports Stadium on Monday
- Female farmers less likely to leave crop residues to decompose – KNUST research
- Drivers in Kumasi speed on weekends – Research reveals
- Implement existing laws to protect consumer – CUTS urges regulators