Audio By Carbonatix
Former Finance Minister Ken Ofori-Atta has had his passport confiscated following his release on bail by a US immigration court, sources familiar with the case have told JoyNews.
He is scheduled to reappear in court on April 27 for deportation proceedings, as the matter continues to unfold amid missing paperwork and jurisdictional delays.
The bail grant comes after Ofori-Atta’s legal team successfully argued that without a formal extradition request from Ghana on record, the court could not legally consider him a flight risk.
His release was secured through a private bond company, reportedly for a substantial sum.
At a previous hearing in March 2026, the presiding judge had specifically requested sight of Ghana's extradition request before determining Ofori-Atta's bail application.
The judge signalled that such documentation would be critical to assessing whether Ofori-Atta posed a flight risk, a key factor in bail decisions.
However, according to sources familiar with the matter, the US Attorney General has not provided a copy of Ghana's extradition request to the State Attorney for submission to the court.
The reasons for this delay remain unclear.
A source familiar with the proceedings explained, “In the absence of sighting a copy of the extradition request, he could not be deemed a flight risk.”
Ofori-Atta was arrested by US Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) on January 6, 2026, and held at the Caroline Detention Facility in Virginia.
The presiding judge had previously requested that Ghana’s extradition request be submitted to the court to assess bail conditions.
However, the US Attorney General has yet to transmit the document to the State Attorney handling the case.
Meanwhile, the Office of the Special Prosecutor in Ghana continues to pursue its corruption case against the former finance minister, awaiting his return.
Latest Stories
-
Africa urged to overhaul climate finance rules and regulations to unlock investment
14 minutes -
Joy Prime to broadcast Mexico vs Ghana friendly match on Saturday, 23rd May at 2am
56 minutes -
PNC National Chairman calls for arrest of NPP Youth Organiser
1 hour -
Joana Gyan Foundation partners KN Foundation, GFA & PFAG for historic Nsawam Prison outreach
1 hour -
Chief urges youth to see farming as dignified business, not punishment
2 hours -
Majority Leader says Ghana is experiencing ‘fastest economic recovery’
2 hours -
Anlo-Afiadenyigba SHS appeals for constant water supply, security
2 hours -
‘Stability, credibility and predictability are Ghana’s competitive advantage’ – Ambassador Victor Smith
2 hours -
NAIMOS arrests Chinese national, 7 Ghanaians in Ashanti Illegal Mining crackdown
2 hours -
Three including a baby killed in multi-vehicle crash on Kasoa-Winneba Highway
2 hours -
Wontumi denies authorising illegal mining on Akonta concession
2 hours -
Agbodza visits Adaklu-Helekpe mudslide victims, calls for urgent environmental action
2 hours -
TMA holds first ordinary meeting, discusses development, challenges, progress
2 hours -
PAC calls for closure of livestock market near the national mosque
2 hours -
Security agencies don’t need my permission to arrest you – Speaker Bagbin to MPs
2 hours