Audio By Carbonatix
Kenya is set to take the global spotlight as it prepares to host the World Under-21 Taekwondo Championships in Nairobi later this year — a major sporting event that’s bringing together youth, sport, and climate action under one roof.
Over 80 countries have already confirmed participation in the tournament, which will run under the theme, “Taekwondo Values For Climate Action.”
The Kenya Taekwondo Federation (KTF), working with the Ministry of Youth Affairs, Creative Economy and Sports, officially unveiled Team Kenya — made up of eight male and eight female athletes — during a press briefing in Nairobi.
KTF President Major (Rtd) Suleiman Sumba said Kenya is ready to welcome the world after meeting all international hosting standards, following a successful inspection by World Taekwondo officials.
“Kenya is ready. Our athletes, venues, and support systems have all met international benchmarks. Hosting the world under the theme Taekwondo Values For Climate Action demonstrates that sport can be a catalyst for both human excellence and environmental consciousness,” said Major Sumba.
He emphasized that the championship aligns perfectly with Kenya’s green agenda, including the national goal to plant 15 billion trees by 2032. Last month, KTF launched its own campaign, #KenyaYetuMsituWetu, which aims to plant 11,000 trees ahead of the event.
Team Kenya is already in a high-performance training camp, sharpening their skills for the African Series Championships in Abidjan, Côte d’Ivoire, starting November 15. The competition will serve as a warm-up before they face the world on home soil.
“Our team is in top shape and ready to make Kenya proud in the Abidjan event, which will sharpen their competitive edge as they prepare to defend home ground,” Major Sumba added.
The championship is expected to draw over 1,000 athletes, coaches, and officials from around 140 countries, including global sporting powerhouses such as South Korea, Brazil, Russia, and Egypt. The event will strengthen Kenya’s reputation as one of Africa’s most reliable hosts for major international tournaments.
Representing the Ministry of Youth Affairs, Principal Sports Officer Jackson Munywoki praised KTF’s leadership and the event’s sustainability focus.
“This championship exemplifies Kenya’s growing stature in global sport management. It underscores the government’s commitment to positioning sport as a vehicle for youth development, economic growth, and environmental stewardship,” said Munywoki.
To ensure a truly green championship, KTF has partnered with the TBL (Tenants Become Landlords) Go Green Initiative as its sustainability partner. The goal is to make the event completely carbon-neutral through tree planting, renewable energy use, and eco-friendly community projects.
Director of the TBL Go Green Initiative, Jeff Kefa, said the partnership places sustainability at the heart of the competition.
“This event shows that sport can lead the climate action agenda. Every match and every medal will leave a positive imprint on the planet,” Kefa said.
According to Major Sumba, final touches are being made on logistics, accreditation, and venue readiness.
Kenya’s hosting of the World Under-21 Taekwondo Championships comes at a time when the world is calling for climate-conscious youth engagement, as highlighted during COP30 and UNEA 7. Through initiatives like this, Kenya is showing that sports can drive sustainability, inspire young people, and support global climate goals — one kick at a time.
Latest Stories
-
British couple on honeymoon killed in helicopter crash on Greek island
4 minutes -
Man, 20, drowns while helping travellers cross Ghana-Togo border river
13 minutes -
Top 10 online bill payment platforms in Nigeria
18 minutes -
Fire destroys more than 27 wooden structures at Spintex Coastal junction
21 minutes -
GoldBod: Day of reckoning will come – Afenyo-Markin
24 minutes -
In Photos: Defence Ministry welcomes Kenneth Gilbert Adjei as new Defence Minister
34 minutes -
CSA fines EY Ghana GH¢360,000 for providing cybersecurity services without a licence
42 minutes -
Bonsu Baah scores and assists in Al Qadsiah big win in Saudi King’s Cup
42 minutes -
The Galamsey war and GWL’s fictitious and inaccurate rebuttal
55 minutes -
Afenyo-Markin demands answers over alleged GH¢22bn GoldBod loss
56 minutes -
GoldBod ‘Losses’: We’re not ignorant, we know our job – Afenyo-Markin
59 minutes -
GoldBod cannot hide behind agency role to escape accountability – Afenyo-Markin
1 hour -
‘You don’t get to keep the fees and disown the costs’ – Afenyo-Markin challenges GoldBod
1 hour -
GNPC turns 40, targets oil production recovery and $3.5bn fresh investment
1 hour -
Minority will speak boldly on GoldBod losses despite attacks – Afenyo-Markin vows
1 hour