Top Kenyan officials led by Foreign Minister Monica Juma have handed back 35.4kg of gold smuggled from Tanzania.
The value of the gold – which the team handed to President John Magufuli – has not been declared but a Kenyan news site is reporting that it is worth at least $1m (£800,000).
CS JUMA leads delegation to Tanzania to return Sh100mn gold seized at JKIA; she is with AG Kihara, DCI Kinoti, DPP Haji. pic.twitter.com/7ksm85GDLJ
— CapitalFM Breaking News (@BreakingNewsKE) July 24, 2019
The consignment left Mwanza Airport and was on its way to the UAE, before it was seized at the main airport in Nairobi, The Citizen newspaper reports.
The Kenyan delegation also handed back $152,000 stolen from a Tanzanian bank, the newspaper reports.
Mr Magufuli said that he discussed the return of the minerals and cash with his Kenyan counterpart Uhuru Kenyatta.
“I want to remind Tanzanians that you can’t commit crime in Kenya and come and hide in Tanzania and vice versa… you will be nabbed,” Mr Magufuli said.
He also said that investigations will be opened to find out if state officials were involved in the smuggling.
- Stephen Appiah excludes Asamoah Gyan from his list of best Ghanaian players
- ‘I dread pain and abuse’ – A female head porter opens up on her daily trauma
- Police arrest notorious armed robber in Tema
- ‘Government is either feigning incompetence on the point of how we fix structures or is pretending to fix them’ – Barker-Vormawor
- CID probes 53 schools over alleged corruption in school feeding programme
- Virologist warns of third wave of Covid-19 in Ghana
- Covid-19: GHS to roll out second doses from May 19
- NSMQ2021: Mfantsipim School begins redemption campaign from regional qualifiers
- 2022 World Cup Qualifiers: Black Stars to camp in Europe despite postponement
- Family sues Daasebre Oti Boateng for failing to replace a statue he destroyed
Akufo-Addo meets families of May 9 victims
Astroturf pitch commissioned to boost football in Old Tafo
Sunyani Muslims join SDA Church in worship
Burglars target Nigeria president’s chief of staff
Climate change: Zoggu residents cannot access water
Amanase residents burn fetish priest’s car over suspected ritual murder
Actor sues TikTok for using her voice in viral tool
9 dead after shooting at Russian school
Apple’s UK users deserve app price compensation, claim says
Today’s front pages: Tuesday, May 11, 2021
Over 10 make-shift structures razed down by fire at Krofrom-Kumasi
Tema Police Command records 3 attempted murder cases in first quarter of 2021
MMDCEs and MPs must collaborate to stimulate development – Kwadaso MP
Gov’t to roll out eight additional interventions this month under Ghana CARES programme-Ofori-Atta
#FixTheCountry: Put your concerns in a workable format so we engage – Government to protesters