Legal Practitioner and Chairman of the Electronic Communications Tribunal, Kissi Agyebeng has been earmarked to replace Martin Amidu as the next Special Prosecutor.
The President is, however, yet to make a formal declaration of his nomination the Special prosecutor office.
His nomination was done by the Minister of Justice and Attorney General, Godfred Dame in a letter to the President on April 16, 2021.
Should he be approved by the President, Mr Agyebeng will become Ghana’s second Special Prosecutor after Martin Amidu resigned citing executive interference in his work.
Per section 13 (8) of the Office of the Special Prosecutor Act, 2017 (Act 959), when the position of the SP becomes vacant, the President shall, within six months, appoint another qualified person for that portfolio.
Mr Agyebeng is the Chairman of the Electronic Communications Tribunal – the body which determines appeals from parties aggrieved by decisions of the National Communications Authority (NCA) on issues such as the closure of radio stations – and one of the best-known lawyers in the country.
Mr. Kissi Agyebeng is the Managing Partner of Cromwell Gray LLP, a law firm based in Accra.
Profile of Kissi Agyebeng
According to his profile on the University of Ghana School of Law website, Mr Agyebeng has been a lecturer since October 2006, teaching and researching into Criminal Law, International Humanitarian Law, International Law, Corporate Law and Legal Research and Writing.
He was awarded the Bentsi-Enchill Prize for Best Graduating Student of the University of Ghana School of Law in 2001.
He proceeded to the Ghana School of Law and was called to the Ghana Bar in October 2003, earning the E.N. Sowah Memorial Prize for Best Student in Family Law.
Since then, he has successfully argued numerous cases before the superior courts of Ghana and participated in several international arbitration hearings.
Mr Agyebeng has a wide range of expertise in consulting for public sector institutions, including the A-G’s Department, EXIM Bank Ghana Ltd, the Youth Employment Authority, the National Lottery Authority, the Ghana National Petroleum Corporation, the Ghana Trade Fair Company Limited and the Ghana Olympic Committee.
He is also an associate at the African Centre for Cyber Law and Cyber Crime Prevention and the National Moot Court Coordinator for the Commonwealth Moot Court Competition on International Criminal Justice.
He has also served as the Vice-Chairman of the Appeals Committee of the Ghana Football Association.
- Overborrowing is one of Akufo-Addo’s biggest mistakes – Prof Adei
- Fella Makafui reacts after Twitter user accuses her of ‘sleeping’ with Medikal’s ex-manager
- ‘Western Togoland’: 5 secessionists handed 5 years in jail each
- Ghana v Angola: Kingsley Schindler replaces injured Tariq Lamptey
- Ludacris hangs out with Sarkodie in Ghana, fans speculate new music
- GALLERY: Best pictures from Black Stars training at Accra Sports Stadium on Monday
- Go to school, don’t wait to get everything on your prospectus – Education Minister to SHS freshers
- My wife got to know she was pregnant after robbery attack – Akesse Brempong
- John Mahama files nomination to contest NDC flagbearer race
- Ambulance case: State abusing its prosecutorial powers – Ato Forson’s lawyers to court
- AFCON 2023Q: Black Stars hold first training at Baba Yara Stadium [Photos]
- Alpha Beta Christian College wins 2nd Inter-School Girls Debate Championship
- Today’s front pages: Wednesday, March 22, 2023
- Your electricity bill does not have a party colour – Samuel Mahama
- MFWA to hold national-level forum on misinformation, peace and democratic consolidation today
- MFWA builds capacity of journalists in fact-checking
- ECG building dockets on those who have stolen power – Samuel Mahama
- Digitalisation to help reduce ECG’s commercial losses – Samuel Mahama
- ECG mass disconnection campaign to be sustained indefinitely – Samuel Mahama
- We’ll meter all distribution transformers to fight power theft – Samuel Mahama
- Former Accra Regional Hospital Medical Director files nomination for Garu
- AFCON 2023Q: Goalpost collapses and injures Wollacott in training
- Ugandan parliament passes bill to jail gay people
- Ghana’s economy is still afloat because of Alan Kyerematen’s vision – Buaben Asamoah
- Intimidation of journalists is on the rise – Kweku Andoh Awotwi