Audio By Carbonatix
Former Liverpool boss Jurgen Klopp has revealed how the Reds laid on a private jet and food for Kylian Mbappe and his family in an attempt to sign the France striker before he opted to join Paris St-Germain in 2017.
The German said it was the "most expensive non-transfer" the club had invested in, as they courted the then-Monaco forward, now aged 27.
Speaking before France beat Morocco to reach the World Cup semi-finals, Klopp - who is working for Magenta TV as a pundit at the tournament - said the Real Madrid man had been wanted by Liverpool.
He went on to explain how a flight was taken from Blackpool to Nice in France, where "the entire Mbappe family boarded a private jet with five rooms or something".
Mbappe is represented by his mother, who runs a consulting company for professional footballers.
"We really went all out. Then we flew around in a circle, talked with the family, ate good food," Klopp said at pitchside.
He said they had not wanted to be seen having talks - but the meeting proved fruitless.
Mbappe later joined PSG on loan in a deal with an option for the move to become permanent for 180m euros (£153m). He went on to spend seven years in Paris, becaming the club's record goal scorer before leaving for Real Madrid in 2024.
"We flew in a circle. It was fantastic. And then he went to Paris," Klopp said.
Klopp, 59, spent nine years on Merseyside, delivering a Champions League and Premier League title before quitting in 2024.
He is widely expected to be named as the next head coach of the German national team.
Latest Stories
-
Blame OSP for delaying SML case – Corporate Counsel
3 minutes -
GFD condemns BOGISS over disciplinary action against 14-year-old allegedly abused by watchmen
24 minutes -
Exhibitors showcase housing solutions at JoyNews Republic Bank Habitat Fair at Achimota Mall
25 minutes -
Dr. Bawumia reiterates call for inclusion and unity at meeting with new Savannah and Western regional NPP executives
30 minutes -
I’ll consider review — Oppong Nkrumah hints at next move after Supreme Court dismisses injunction
54 minutes -
Bodies of two hikers missing for decades found after Swiss glacier melts
1 hour -
NSMQ 2026: North East Region denied one-eighth stage as Kumasi High kicks out Nalerigu
1 hour -
Useless Column: ‘Weytin do Akosua?’
1 hour -
Context Matters: Understanding the Tony Elumelu First-Name Debate – Afanyi Dadzie writes
1 hour -
Microwaving is safe, but minimise aluminium foil use – Food Scientist advices
1 hour -
Supreme Court clears way for legal vacation criminal trials, dismisses Oppong Nkrumah’s injunction bid
2 hours -
Restaurant portions, surplus food worsening Ghana’s food waste problem — Food Scientist
2 hours -
NPP extends 2026 National Officers Elections filing deadline to August 29
2 hours -
NDC has not shown it can manage power sector effectively — Fiifi Boafo
2 hours -
Ghana secured US$2.6bn FDIs in 2025 – GIPC Report
2 hours