Audio By Carbonatix
The Ashanti Kusasi Chiefs and Elders have praised the Ghana Police Service for what they describe as a “pivotal breakthrough” in the arrest of suspects linked to the murder of their late chief, Naba Maliki Azimbe. The commendation was delivered by their spokesperson, John Ndago, during a press conference in Kumasi.
Ndago said the group is encouraged by the progress made so far, especially the detention of three suspects — Jamil Usman, Suleman Yasir Arafat, and Ashiadu Sumbeida — following months of investigation.
“The detention of these individuals marks a pivotal advancement,” he said, urging the police to “conduct a comprehensive and expeditious investigation to ensure successful prosecution and punishment, deterring future crimes.”
Naba Maliki Azimbe was murdered on 22 July 2025 at his residence in Asawase in the Ashanti Region, a case that stirred tension and demands for justice among Kusasi communities across the country and the diaspora.
The chiefs and elders also lauded the leadership of the Inspector-General of Police and the Ashanti Regional Command for their role in the arrests.
Special mention was given to the Ashanti South Regional Police Commander, DCOP Joseph Hammond, and his team for what they called unwavering commitment to justice.
Despite the progress, the group noted that one suspect, Illiasu, popularly known as Abodom, remains at large. They have appealed to the police to intensify efforts to apprehend him without delay.
Beyond the arrests, the Kusasi traditional authorities and the Diaspora Kusaug Community are demanding a thorough investigation into all circumstances surrounding the chief’s death. They also want adequate protection for witnesses involved in the case.
Ndago extended appreciation to REGSEC, DISEC, the National Peace Council, and sections of the public — including some Mamprusi individuals — whose intelligence contributed to the arrests.
The chiefs say they remain confident that the police and the judiciary will deliver “prompt, impartial, and unequivocal justice” as the case proceeds.
They ended the statement with a prayer for the late chief and a reaffirmation of their call: “Justice for our Chief.”
The suspects are scheduled to appear before the Asokore Mampong District Court on Friday, March 27, 2026
Latest Stories
-
Man, 20, drowns while helping travellers cross Ghana-Togo border river
36 seconds -
Top 10 online bill payment platforms in Nigeria
6 minutes -
Fire destroys more than 27 wooden structures at Spintex Coastal junction
9 minutes -
GoldBod: Day of reckoning will come – Afenyo-Markin
12 minutes -
In Photos: Defence Ministry welcomes Kenneth Gilbert Adjei as new Defence Minister
22 minutes -
CSA fines EY Ghana GH¢360,000 for providing cybersecurity services without a licence
30 minutes -
Bonsu Baah scores and assists in Al Qadsiah big win in Saudi King’s Cup
30 minutes -
The Galamsey war and GWL’s fictitious and inaccurate rebuttal
43 minutes -
Afenyo-Markin demands answers over alleged GH¢22bn GoldBod loss
44 minutes -
GoldBod ‘Losses’: We’re not ignorant, we know our job – Afenyo-Markin
47 minutes -
GoldBod cannot hide behind agency role to escape accountability – Afenyo-Markin
58 minutes -
‘You don’t get to keep the fees and disown the costs’ – Afenyo-Markin challenges GoldBod
1 hour -
GNPC turns 40, targets oil production recovery and $3.5bn fresh investment
1 hour -
Minority will speak boldly on GoldBod losses despite attacks – Afenyo-Markin vows
1 hour -
Moody’s upgrades EBID rating to B1, citing stronger finances and shareholder support
1 hour