A staff of the Lands and Natural Resources Ministry has been arrested for extorting monies from illegal miners and other mining-related activities in excess of ¢200,000.
The suspect, Gabriel Sarpong, is said to have collected the monies in the name of the Deputy Minister, George Mireku Duker, who instructed his arrest.
A statement from the Ministry said a tip-off by an accomplice led to the arrest of Gabriel Sarpong on Tuesday, September 13, 2022.
Mr Sarpong agreed to all counts of fraudulent activities levelled against him.
The Deputy Minister has asked the security apparatus to handle the matter diligently to ensure that the law deals with Mr Sarpong severely.
He is also hopeful that the prosecution of Mr Sarpong will serve as a deterrent to others in the same trade of activities.
Gabriel Sarpong is currently in the custody of the Ministries Police Station in Accra.
- Samuel Eto’o filmed brutally kneeing a man in the face after Brazil’s World Cup clash with South Korea
- Ghanaian nurses to work in UK under new deal – Agyemang Manu
- ‘Thank you Dede Ayew’, tweets ‘praise’ Stars captain for missed penalty as Brazil mauls South Korea
- Debt exchange could land Ghana in very difficult times – Dr. Atuahene
- All Agenda 111 hospitals cannot be completed by 2024 – NPP MP
- Cedi likely to strengthen against dollar amidst debt sustainability outlook
- We reject debt exchange programme; it will destroy savings of Ghanaians – Pensions Chamber
- Labour unions kick against any ‘haircut’ on pension funds of workers
- IMF is getting cold feet on deal with Ghana – Ricketts-Hagan alleges
- Debt Exchange: Do not touch our pensions – TUC warns government
- Government might have over-borrowed – John Kumah admits
- Man jailed 21 years for shooting Lady Gaga’s dog walker
- Biography of Prof. Justice Henrietta Mensa-Bonsu to be launched in Accra
- Fifa opens disciplinary proceedings against Uruguay FA and four players after Ghana clash
- No more airplane mode – EU to allow calls on flights
- Huawei equips 500 traders with Financial Technology￼
- UK consumers tighten belts before Christmas as cost of living bites
- So many people in Ghana camp at the World Cup may have been a distraction – Osei Owusu Bempah
- 9 drown during baptism ceremony in Johannesburg
- ‘It is injurious to pension contributors’ – Chamber of Corporate Trustees reject Debt Exchange programme
- Schoolgirl killed in knife attack in Germany
- Withdraw inclusion of pension funds from debt exchange programme – Nurses and Midwives to government
- YEA increases monthly allowances for Community Protection Assistants
- Agric Minister begins tour of Northern Ghana
- Don’t always go after white collar jobs, venture into farming – Asantehene tells youth, traditional leaders