Audio By Carbonatix
The Ghana Catholic Bishops’ Conference is pushing for the collective adoption of strategic plans to pressure the next government to stop galamsey.
Bishop of the Obuasi Diocese, Most Rev. John Yaw Afoakwah speaking at the annual plenary of the GCBC, is rallying the support of his colleagues, believes halting illegal mining should be followed by a comprehensive plan to reverse the deterioration.
This follows the threat of galamsey to the lives of people in the Adansi enclave due to the deterioration of the environment.

“I will urge the conference to map out strategic plans to put pressure on the incoming government if possible to end galamsey and initiate measures and policies to reclaim affected lands”, he said.
Illegal mining continues to wreak havoc in the country’s forest reserves and river bodies.
Before the opening of the plenary in Obuasi, some of the Bishops took a trip to the polluted Jimi River which serves the water needs of parts of the town.
Due to the unbearable cost of treatment of the river, Anglogold Ashanti Mining Company who bears the cost has resorted to the drilling of boreholes for their quarters, depriving some communities of access to potable water.

According to the Obuasi Catholic Diocese, lives in some communities in its catchment continue to deteriorate due to the menace.
President of the Bishops Conference, Most Rev. Matthew Kwasi Gyamfi says the issue of illegal mining will be central in their plenary.
“All the Bishops here paid visit to many communities in the Diocese. We interacted with the people and heard their concerns especially about this menace and how helpless they are. Their concerns will certainly come to bear in our delibrations. There must be a way out”, he said.
Meanwhile, the Ashanti Regional Minister, Simon Osei Mensah condemned the politicization of the fight against illegal mining.
He believes in concerted efforts to fight the menace.
“It is a responsibility that all of us must get our waterways cleared and protect our forests. The communities who have been supporting them anytime you send security there must also stop,” he added.
Latest Stories
-
International Day of the Boy Child marked in Accra
1 minute -
BoG losses will not recur at last year’s scale — Governor Asiama assures
16 minutes -
Without trust, digital finance is just technology – BoG Governor
39 minutes -
Mental disorders increase by 95.5% globally since 1990 – Study
39 minutes -
See the areas that will be affected by ECG’s planned maintenance on May 25
40 minutes -
Fire destroys six-bedroom house in Koforidua
2 hours -
Government deploys armoured buses disguised as VIP, STC and OA coaches to fight highway robberies
2 hours -
GES director raises alarm over 300 teacher deficits in the Asutifi North District
2 hours -
Ghana’s Isaac Nii Ayetey Tagoe wins bronze at Oran World Para Powerlifting 2026
4 hours -
FHU alumnus launches medical textbook
4 hours -
Ghana’s Isaac Obeng clinches bronze at Oran World Para Powerlifting 2026
4 hours -
Rescuers search for more than 20 trapped after Philippines building collapse
5 hours -
Publican AI and the A–B–C Corridor
5 hours -
Blast targeting train kills at least 20 in Pakistan
5 hours -
Attacks on Ebola centres intensify in eastern DRC amid outbreak fears
5 hours